Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Barry

First imaging since "Giving Up"

... I had decided to give up the hobby and recently sold all of my equipment, with the exception of an Equinox 66 with a dodgy focuser. 

When the bug bit again I added a secondhand EQ5 Synscan and a dslr, and had an evening of no frills unguided imaging on Wednesday.  I can honestly say that I enjoyed that session more than I had in a long time, even though the results are somewhat poor!  

Barry

Andromeda v2 45s iso1600 16bit.jpg

M81-M82 Crop-16bit (2).jpg

M42-2.1 ISO400 30s 16bit.jpg

Edited by Barry
photo
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Barry said:

even though the results are somewhat poor!

There's only one thing I can say to that statement.....LOL! :D

Those photos are really good. Especially the one of M31.

Nice results. It's easy to get lost in all the technology in AP. Sometimes we need to go back to basics. Or: KISS, keep it simple, stupid. I hope you keep at it and enjoy it.

Getting bogged down in complexity is a good way to loose your interest. Sometimes the best thing you can do is get back to basics and just enjoy it. As said above, many people would be very happy to have created the images you have posted above, they may not be perfect in your eyes but the image is not the reward so much as enjoying the process.

Welcome back!

Thank you all for your kind comments. I am pleased with the images but also aware of the exceptional images that many post regularly on this forum. I absolutely agree that the most important thing is to enjoy it as a hobby.

I must acknowledge Doug German's YouTube videos, which helped me to draw reluctant data from the images!

Barry

Welcome back to the fold :) A great starter... well done :) 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By F137CHA
      M31 25 x 5mins Williams optics megrez 72 Cannon Eos 40d
    • By The Admiral
      I'm just starting to get to grips with my new iOptron GEM45 EQ mount, having spent some time cutting my teeth in astro-imaging using an Nexstar Alt-Az mount. Very much an EQ virgin!
      I decided to image M81 & M82 as these were inaccessible with my old Nexstar, so it was new territory for me. I used my Altair Wave 104 f/7 ED triplet scope, Photoline 0.79x reducer and Fuji X-T1 (effective FL 560mm). ISO400. 60 x 90s lights and flats. I did take 20 darks but I found that using some old bias frames from an earlier session gave a better result. Stacked in AstroArt 6, processed in StarTools v1.6.393 RC2, and polished in Lightroom. I've yet to get to grips with this latest version of ST, so for this image I haven't used the full gamut of controls. I like to get as much detail as I can from my images, I don't do subtle! Fans of a naturalistic look may not approve .

At about the 9 o'clock position there is a small blue 'smudge', enlarged here. It does unfortunately reveal some trouble with my stars!

I had originally thought that this was NGC 2976, but Astronet shows that galaxy to be too far away. Anyone any idea?

Thanks for looking.
      Ian
    • By Nicola Hannah Butterfield
      First image from my new NEQ6 Pro driven mount, all other images before this were static.
      Sky Watcher 200P prime focus, 10x 60's lights, darks, bias and flats. ISO 200
      Bortle 6
      Yes I know there is a plane track through it.
    • By alexbb
      I've been processing this image for quite a long now.
      I started acquiring data the last season when I only managed to shoot 3 panels with the Canon 6D through the Esprit 80 for a total of ~7h.
      This season I restarted and I added more data and covered a wider area. So a mix of portrait and landscape panels were planned and shot with the same scope and camera. Now every pixel represents at least 3-4h of integration, some have more.
      All the above were shot from Bortle 2-3 sites where I traveled sometimes even for an hour of exposure.
      To the RGB data I added 17.5h of Ha, same story with the panels. Some were oriented N-S, others E-W. These were shot with the SW 72ED and the ASI1600 from home and Bortle ~7.
      Then I figured out I still had time and I planned and shot 9 more panels of luminance with the 72ED and ASI1600, each consisting of 1h of exposure.
      I combined all of these into an image, processed it and for the Orion nebula and Running Man nebula I also blended some data I shot last season with the 130PDS and ASI1600 from home.
      Below it's my first final version of all data combined. You can watch it in full resolution on astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/full/jni0w8/ or Flickr: https://flic.kr/p/2iBGUXq

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.