Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Glasses wearers

hi guys, i have what might be a silly question about wearing glasses. 

i wear glasses for being slight short sighted. i hardly wear them as i can actually get by without them but, my question is, would i get better results through the scope if i actually wore them? i thought the focuser did the focusing and you could adjust it to suit your eyes? or am i totally wrong here? 

1 minute ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

Rather depends on what is "wrong" with your eyes. You can use your glasses with a telescope, but you will need to use eyepieces with an eye relief of about 18-20mm. I'm slightly short sighted and use glasses for driving, for example, but have no problems with my telescope.

i borderline need to wear them for driving but rarely do. there is not a lot wrong with my eyes tbh.

I'm short-sighted. I wear glasses all day every day for driving,tv computer.

One thing ive never needed them for is looking through a telescope or binoculars. I have to take my glasses off to read a book,newspaper or mag. If i leave them on....i have to hold said book,newspaper or mag at arms length in front of me. 

Glasses are only a few months old........not cheap either. Had a full complete exam and retinoscopy.

Found out for the 1st time ever that i have a very slight astigmatism in my left eye (or is it my right eye?).......so small, i cant even remember, but lets go with the left.

7 minutes ago, Jamie16v said:

i borderline need to wear them for driving but rarely do. there is not a lot wrong with my eyes tbh.

Enjoy it while you can! :p

Having to switch between eyeglasses and eyepieces for charts is a real bug bear I find. I sometimes wear a chain loop to hold my glasses in place, but then they tend to swing annoyingly in the way of observing. I could wear them for observing because they also correct my astigmatism, but find that really annoying, being varifocals they can be difficult to adjust to quickly enough in the dark as well.

It is possible to get astigmatism correction lenses to fit onto Televue eyepieces by the way.

Tim

21 minutes ago, Jamie16v said:

hi guys, i have what might be a silly question about wearing glasses. 

i wear glasses for being slight short sighted. i hardly wear them as i can actually get by without them but, my question is, would i get better results through the scope if i actually wore them? i thought the focuser did the focusing and you could adjust it to suit your eyes? or am i totally wrong here? 

The next time you're out observing, view with and without, on the same object, with several objects in fact, and see which are more pleasing.  If you find that the views are best with the eyeglasses, then you might want to consider eyepieces of longer eye-relief; at least 15mm if not 20mm.  When considering purchasing said eyepieces, there should be mention made of the eye-relief length within a listing's specifications.  This listing, for example, has an eye-relief of 15mm...

http://www.365astronomy.com/TS-Ultra-Wide-Angle-Eyepiece-9mm-1.25-66o-with-Improved-Coating.html

However that listing does not indicate the amount of eye-relief, but this one does, and is the exact same as the other...

http://agenaastro.com/agena-9mm-enhanced-wide-angle-ewa-eyepiece.html

The extra eye-relief simply allows for spacing between the eye and the eyepiece for the thickness of the eyeglasses, in order to see the full field-of-view, and thereby a more comfortable observing experience.

Eye-relief illustrated, and with my tight 4mm orthoscopic used as the test subject...

eye relief2.jpg

The eye-relief of that 4mm is very tight; short, where you would almost have to place the eye itself onto the eyepiece, touching it to even, and in order to see the full view.

You couldn't use that eyepiece whilst wearing eyeglasses.

Archived