SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Could this be Venus?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tim said:

one night the youngest called out "Hey Dad, LOOK! It's Orion's belt!". Proud? You bet :)

When my son learnt the name of a new boy on his football team he said "Ryan? That's funny. It's like Ryan nebular"

2 hours ago, JennyBull said:

The moon is in view and I'm hoping the other point of light is Venus as I've been telling everyone about it lol ?

The Mrs and I left the  house to visit just after 1800 and from our view point, looking low through the tree line she saw `a bright twinkling Star and a  bright bit of  Moon`  (her words honest!).

I think she was just as surprised as yourself in the fact that she was looking at another Planet!  Did she really  believe me?  I told her "I'm an astronomer, I should know! " albeit an amateur,  She giggled!

I did a quick snap of the pair this evening after rushing the Dog around for his last walk of the day.
I saw them in the western sky, but it was raining, although the clouds had not extended that for.
Hastily  got my Canon 1000D, stuck my Zoom out of the Bathroom Window   at 100mm  f5.6 iso400.
Pretty Naff result, fiddling with it in Photoshop probably made it worse. I had to convert it to Greyscale. 
and crop it.
The sky was still a bit bright, and my processing won't win any medals :icon_biggrin:.

Moon Venus.jpg

3 minutes ago, barkis said:

I did a quick snap of the pair this evening after rushing the Dog around for his last walk of the day.
I saw them in the western sky, but it was raining, although the clouds had not extended that for.
Hastily  got my Canon 1000D, stuck my Zoom out of the Bathroom Window   at 100mm  f5.6 iso400.
Pretty Naff result, fiddling with it in Photoshop probably made it worse. I had to convert it to Greyscale. 
and crop it.
The sky was still a bit bright, and my processing won't win any medals :icon_biggrin:.

Moon Venus.jpg

Yes that's exactly what I saw although it seemed to dissappear behind the row of houses opposite! I can't believe in all my years (45 ?) I've neveread noticed others planted just there in the sky lol!

4 minutes ago, barkis said:

and crop it.

Moon Venus.jpg

Mine neither - probably too much ISO for the Moon (ISO 800, 1 second shots)

MoonVenusMars.png

I DO hope Mak wont stop posting here on SGL. I for one (as i'm sure no one else is) is calling him out or doubting how he sees things. We all see things differently which is down to so many different factors (including our own eyes).

Simulated images do give false hope to "newbies".......,but this problem starts with the glossy images printed on many telescope boxes. You add in the images in magazines etc which were taken by space telescopes and have hours upon hours of post image processing...........and its very easy to see why so many people who are new to astronomy have very high expectations of what they will see through a scope.

Most objects we see through a scope are 50 shades of grey. Filters help with some objects to allow you to see colour/detail.

I wish I could  see more  Planets from my back yard?
Jupiter has been ticked ( Its my only favourite, the only one I can really see, and witnesed my first Moon shadow transit in stunning detail,  for probably less than a minute? ) though I believe I have seen the redness of Mars? but everything else is shielded from  my field of view due to my high surroundings, unless I head out to the dark side!

This is my oft posted image of Jupiter taken with my iPhone held up to the scope eyepiece. The actual view was way better than this, but it still shows the banding on the surface, the shadow transit and two moons (one just creeping out from the side of the Disk). Shadow transits are jet black, crisp circles (or ellipses) on the surface, great to see.

IMG_2951.JPG

Archived