Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New years "Astro" , Resolutions

Timebandit

Another year is nearly at an end and another just to begin 

Have you a new years resolution that you intend to carry out in the new year (or at least have the intention to do your best to carry it out)

My new years "Astro Resolution" is in theory quite a simple one to achieve, but in practice it can be quite a task to achieve. It's a simple one and not an incredibly expensive one either. And that is to get to a Dark site on a more regular basis. I am primarily a back yard observer and I think the reason for this as it's easy , quick and simple to achieve and I can run the hobby on that basis. It takes absolutely no planning really. If I am not tied up in work matters or other commitments, if there are not clouds, rain or other weather or atmosphere problems , then the scope can come out. It takes all of a few minutes to get the scope out and eyepieces in and away I go . And if for some reason I am needing during an observation session(the mobile phone is a blessing, but also a curse) I can pack the kit away in minutes and attend to the more pressing problem. And also I do enjoy the freedom and simplicity that back yard observing does bring to me.

But there is one big problem with backyard observing,and that is unfortunate I do not live at a true dark site location. But on a edge fringe of town you just do not get the same seeing conditions that you can achieve at a true dark site. And therefore a resolution to attend a true dark site more would be of extreme benefit to the target viewing clarity and the targets that I can pick up with the chosen aperture. So I do need to try and fit in the dark site fix more frequently. This will obviously involve far more planning. Trying to squeeze a trip in between work and other social commitments.  Being more organised with the telescope kit and equipment, making sure everything gets in the car in one piece and that I take everything with me( bit of a waste if all the eyepiece are left in the house by mistake) making sure the car has petrol in it , as nothing worse than a empty light flashing at 2am in the morning on the way too or back from a destination . And making sure you know exactly where your chosen dark site is located. As these can be far more difficult to find at night than in daylight conditions, especially as dark site locations tend to be off track up country roads. There is also the weather conditions to consider. And I must admit the weather conditions,(as well as work commitments) has made dark site trips difficult to plan and obtain. The weather can change from time to time and location to location on the same night. So trying to predict the weather is obviously a big concern when it comes to dark site trips. As it can be frustrating to say the least to get time away from work commitments, load car , gain access to dark site , just to see rain and clouds. This is why dark site trips take so much more planning and commitment than popping outside and getting the scope out of the shed. But when everything goes to plan with dark site trips then all the effort is worthwhile. With the mark one eyeballs you will get views at a dark site that you can only dream about in a town light polluted area. And then there is the added benefit to the scope aperture, it has been said that a smaller scope at a dark site will out perform a larger aperture in a light polluted area. Therefore obviously dark sites are the ultimate way of gaining clarity and target matter without necessarily using your aperture. 

Therefore fitting in dark site trips is my new years resolution ,and Mark at the local astronomy club has kindly invited me a long to possible dark site locations that the club use. So I will try my best to attend a meet and get along to these sites to stretch the ability of the 120ed and 14" dob. And Faulksy has also kindly hinted at a hook up at some point, and to let me have a peek through the newborn 20" dob(thanks Mike). So dark site locations are available to me and obviously I just need to find a bit more time in my schedule and to drop lucky with some weather conditions to enjoy the "Dark site" fix☺ 

So there is my new years Astro Resolution , maybe you would like to share your resolution for the new Astro year

As Simon mentioned above I organise the outreach events for Herefordshire Astro Society. Our normal location is not bad although we do get a bit of LP in the South from Leominster. However, I have agreed another site with the Wildlife Trust and that star party is in February. I am also aware of the Dark Skies in the Black Mountains and one of their defined dark sky areas is about 20+ miles from home with a good car park. Pub not far away either.

My 2017 Resolution is to complete a few DSOs lists plus using my new book 'The Night Sky Observer's Guide Vol 1' to concentrate on a particular constellation for an observing night. In the New Year I have decided to start on Cassiopeia with its numerous clusters, double stars and objects like 'The Pacmac' and The Bubble'.

+1 for visiting a dark site in 2017 to get the most out of my current imaging rig. I have invested time and money in cases to ensure all of my equipment can be safely transported by car, and I have a designated dark site within 25 minutes travel time.

Planning the visit around work the next day, phases of the moon and of course, the U.K. weather, remains the challenge. I am also not keen on being on my own at a remote location with a load of expensive kit all spread out, but trying to arrange impromptu get togethers with other imagers and/or observers is even more difficult.

Still, I am determined to get out there in 2017.

I want to get out more often.  

My job conspires against me often, but im going to start putting the st80 in the car.  Given i usually end up driving over the moors back home and theres several laybys (bank top, scaling dam, etc) i think that my well work

Archived