Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mirror image with refractor and diagonal

domstar

Even after doing this for a year I was always confused by which way my viewfinder was going with respect to left right up and down. I managed to suss the finderscope although I must admit I still look at the scope to see which way it's moving. Yesterday the penny dropped. It depends on if the diagonal is at 90 degrees or 180 degrees to the floor I think. My problem is that I rotate the diagonal to the perfect comfort position for my chair and it depends on the angle of the scope. That would account for why things move in strange directions across the eyepiece.

So my question is-am I doing it all wrong? surely a bad stargazer is better than a stargazer with a bad back? Do other refractor users just put up with the confusion or only use the diagonal at 90 degrees?

Not doing it wrong at all. The reason we put up with mirror images and  (for Newts) inverted images is because the image orientation does not matter. Just do what works and gets you the best view. Comfort is also important for observing, so sounds to me like you're doing the right thing.

Billy.

I remember when I first started having exactly the same problem. It just takes time and practice and your brain will soon work out how to co-ordinate your movements so that the scope moves in the direction you want it to.

1 hour ago, domstar said:

Even after doing this for a year I was always confused by which way my viewfinder was going with respect to left right up and down. I managed to suss the finderscope although I must admit I still look at the scope to see which way it's moving. Yesterday the penny dropped. It depends on if the diagonal is at 90 degrees or 180 degrees to the floor I think. My problem is that I rotate the diagonal to the perfect comfort position for my chair and it depends on the angle of the scope. That would account for why things move in strange directions across the eyepiece.

So my question is-am I doing it all wrong? surely a bad stargazer is better than a stargazer with a bad back? Do other refractor users just put up with the confusion or only use the diagonal at 90 degrees?

Nothing wrong with what you are doing at all. I chose to always leave the diagonal with the eyepiece facing upwards so that my simple brain does not get further confused!

I know that I'm pretty well trained these days because when I use a RACI finder I push the scope the wrong way!

Archived