Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar.jpg

nightfisher

What did the postman bring

iPeace    1,982

DSC_0826.thumb.JPG.6a992b1bed29b69af53b13d05c7eb5fc.JPG

With grateful thanks to Peter for an excellent job of packaging and shipping, I am ready for an O-III shootout between Lumicon and Astronomik.

:happy11:

I have read accounts of this one being used as a "do it all" filter, so it should be interesting. If so, it will be a prime candidate for my airline travel kit.

• Like 2

JOC    1,078

The postman bought me a Vixen 80S courtesy of SGL user Debo - many thanks for first class wrapping and packing job and speedy turn around.  So much for saying I'd never own more than one telescope!  It's a real grab and go job to the top of finderscope from its stand its 54cm and it 40 cm along the length of the scope!

• Like 1

Helen    2,123

Solar related (prize for correct guess :wink2: )

Helen

IMG_20170705_111453.jpg

IMG_20170705_111440.jpg

IMG_20170705_111432.jpg

IMG_20170705_111411.jpg

Helen    2,123
6 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Sol finder for a 60mm LuntPT?     :icon_biggrin:

Nice try Peter... it is bigger than that (and much cheaper!) 

Helen

Helen    2,123
9 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Roll of Baader solar film?

Cheaper than that even Dave!!

Peter Drew    4,954
49 minutes ago, Helen said:

Nice try Peter... it is bigger than that (and much cheaper!) 

Helen

Close, but no cigar!  Right subject though.   :icon_biggrin:

Ibbo!    4,167
3 hours ago, Helen said:

Solar related (prize for correct guess :wink2: )

Helen

IMG_20170705_111453.jpg

IMG_20170705_111440.jpg

IMG_20170705_111432.jpg

IMG_20170705_111411.jpg

Funnily enough I have just read your other post on the subject

JOC    1,078

Somethiñg to hide under so you don't roast in the sun?

Paul73    2,365

IMG_9921.thumb.JPG.621ad7f8e5752108f3ea9cbab3c1fa90.JPGTreated myself to this little gadget from HoTech. Should make life a lot easier!!!

• Like 2

Alfian    913

This is not so much "what did the postman bring" today, or rather a couple of days ago, but a resume of various eyepiece (pictured) arrivals over the last couple of months or so.

In order of arrival,  the 10mm BCO which was the pleasant and unexpected  consequence of a sort exchange of favours with Shane (Moonshane). I was a little unsure about the eye relief but was keen to sample what all this talk of orthoscopics was about. Now I know! The eye relief is a bit skinny on the 10mm but its more comfortable than I expected but the optics are superb. A little EP with big performance. Thanks Shane.

Next the Vixen 15mm SLV. Bought from Jon (parallaxerr) it was the natural upgrade for my much used and well liked 15mm NPL. Great eye relief with great optics and a solid build quality. I've not used it so much yet but its one of those instant hit, make you smile, type eye pieces. Thanks Jon.

Next was the Circle T 12.5mm ortho', an impulse buy from Dave (F15Rules) based on my experience with the BCO. Dave was also selling a Circle T 25mm Kellner and as he made me an offer I couldn't refuse I bought both!  Again, not much time at the eyepiece yet but first impressions with the 12.5mm are very good, perhaps not as immediately impressive as the BCO but I need more time to compare them. The Kellner, a type which I tend to associate with cheap lightweight barely adequate eyepieces shipped as OE with many 'scopes, is a quite different animal. Again ,when I get to spend a bit more time with it I'll hopefully be able to report back. Thanks Dave.

Finally the 7mm 82 degree Nirvana.  After hunting around for an eyepiece that would give about 120 - 130x with the ED100 and spending ages pondering a barlow, I decided to wait and see if a  7mm (ish) eyepiece from my very short shortlist would come along which included the Nirvana.I'd looked at the Nirvana a few times, it had a good reputation but the 82 degree fov?  I had pretty much decided that 68 degrees was plenty for my eyes, in fact I'm quite happy with 50 -60 degrees. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained so when Paul (martindale) advertised his, I jumped and it arrived on Friday. Its a big eyepiece, compared to the others,with a solid feel to the build. Its eye cup arrangement is identical to the one on my 35mm Rigel which is very comfy to use.  I've not had chance to use it under the stars yet, but views across the valley look good, so we will see how it pans out. Thanks Paul.

In addition to these I have a couple of Vixen LVs to get to grips with. What started off as an eyepiece "rationalisation" exercise has finished up as full cupboard, more than enough to keep me occupied.

Picture: Circle T 25mm Kellner, Vixen 15mm SLV, Circle T 12.5mm Ortho', Baader BCO 10mm, Skywatcher 7mm Nirvana.

Eyepieces 2.JPG

• Like 3