Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Big eye's under Bala skies

mapstar

Having a fair amount of time off over the Christmas period I thought would give plenty of opportunity to get out especially whilst the new moon landed well. One possible trip was an invite from Faulksy to try his 'local' spot near Bala over the border in Wales. We'd been discussing this for a few weeks but with Mike being on nights between Christmas and the new year this didn't look like it was going to happen.

I watched the weather and so did Mike and we both agreed that Wednesday night was going to be the best after his last night shift Tuesday. So car packed I set off down from my home in South Yorkshire taking just 2 hours to arrive at his pad in Wrexham. Just before Chester I hit thick freezing fog so all looked a bit gloomy. A local bite to eat and I pulled up to be greeted by Mike who looked a little weary after only 4 hours sleep but was in great spirits. Venus was trying it's best to pierce the gloom and the summer triangle was just visible. 

We set off at half 6 taking an hour or there about's to get to the spot he had in mind. The last 8 miles we climbed from the valley floor on a single track lane all the way up beyond 1600ft to a large parking area where Daniel-K and Baz were already set up. Climbing out of the car the skies were dark and there was not a single light in sight. Top marks for location.

A few introductions later and myself and Mike busied ourselves with setting up the two scopes. Baz already had his 14" scanning the skies and had already racked up a list of targets. 8pm and we were ready:hello2:

The temperature was a cool 2 deg and fell below freezing' but the small breeze made it feel minus figures all night. At least the dew would be kept at bay. M33 was naked eye and the Milkyway ran like a silver ribbon from horizon to horizon. What a great sight this would turn out to be as we gazed at its steady spin through the night from east to west to finally fade in the morning twilight north to south. 

First off I revisited NGC-1 and 2 just under Alpheratz in Pegasus. Couldn't believe how easy NGC-2 was. Slight slide westward gave me NGC-16 and up 27. I travelled further west to the group of galaxies in Andromeda with NGC-68, 70, 71, 72 being a tight knit quad and 76 just hanging out to the side. Mike was browsing some usual targets letting Dan and Baz have a butchers through his 20". I could hear all three of them discussing the impressive views.  Dan was also busy taking photo's and here's one of all three scope's working away under the big Bala skies (courtesy of Daniel-K).

bala.jpg.dcc7282545ac7405e86bfbc5505c7222.jpg

Falling through the constellation line of Andromeda I took in the galaxy NGC-97 before bagging NGC-108. All before 9pm the 3 hours to get here long,long forgotten. Staying in Andromeda I hoovered up NGC-183 and 233 in quick succession.
Swinging back east galaxies NGC-140 and 112 on the way to the cluster of NGC-6, 13, 20, 21, 29 I finished the little sweep off by collecting NGC-5 north of this group and below NGC-7831. Absolutely cracking little cluster and a tea and Mince pie appeared to celebrate. Cheers Dan/Baz.

Heading back to the great square NGC-7819 face on and then two closely interacting galaxies NGC-7805 + 7806 making a very interesting pair and like eye's staring out. NGC-7773 and 7760 were pretty much the same size face galaxies. The eyepiece was not vacant for long under these skies :grin:.

A quick break for some easy viewing and we all had a look at NGC 891, Mike was impressed with this one. The Rosette nebula had gas clouds which went on forever in this darkness and vast was an understatement comparable to M33 in size. I never looked at M31 but the others had some fine views of the endless star clouds inside it's spiral.

Back over the Pegasus border NGC-7775 had a set of three stars to one side but had a companion the other side which I'm struggling to identify but it was there at the edge of the field?

Another walk about with a tea and just stare at the epic unpolluted vista. Pure wow factor with a bit of playing on the Eskimo Neb (NGC-2392) going right upto 275X showing loads of outer structure and blue, Mike had the 5mm Pentax in but the transparency wasn't quite enough to hold this kind of mag. Impressive though. The HH was well and truly stabled up by all four of us the surprise being the use of a UHC to see it in the Faulk's 20". It was rude not to look at M42 and the nebulosity arced around with and without a filter. Just terrific.

Dan and Baz departed at just gone midnight and the skies just got better and better. Both me and Mike settled down to put some more time in at the eyepiece.  

I landed in Draco which revealed a list that just went on and on and on. NGC-4236, 4128, 4120, 4034 (Diffuse), 5961, 3879, 6711, 3735, 3516, 3562, 3597, 3329, 4159, 4133, 4319, 4291, 4386, 4303 (again just at the edge another unidentified galaxy?) with NGC-4648 completing the Draco galaxies for now but the planetary IC3568 (lemon slice neb) seem to bring another cuppa into view.

After that another bit of easy viewing. M51 (NGC-5194) and it's neighbour 5195. The bridge and spiral arms were vivid and half the eyepiece. Moving further into Canes Venatici NGC-5198, 5173, 5169 all got noted. 

M101 was also the same stunning view and filled the 10mm Pentax that Mike was using on it! NGC-5461, 5462, 5447, 5450 bright knot's on it's massive arms. I circled M101 placing the scope on all the galaxies there abouts NGC-5474 , 5368, 5473, 5422, 5484, 5485, 5475, 5443. Working my way up to Draco again I crossed the constellation border hopping through NGC-5585 and 5631 on the way and also NGC-5687 in Bootes.

Plenty of meteor's during the night also added to the spectacle.

Here's a Scopie of me just before midnight (Courtesy of Mr Daniel K)

dam.jpg.9303e36f085f8cf6fd7e3c9219d0fdab.jpg

Mike's shocked voice suddenly exclaimed it's half three :eek: Time had flown but the skies still had treasure to give up and when their like this then who in their right mind leaves until the sun is rising! 

Back to it and much more to come.

With Mike shadowing me since midnight and discussing each galaxy we hit M102 (the spindle galaxy) in Draco which was bright and clear and showed a massive black dust lane through it. Nearby NGC-5907 gave both of us proper wow views. Edge to edge in the eyepiece and huge is this edge on! From there we both hopped around before heading up north. NGC-5905, 5908, 5963, 5965, 5987, 5989, UGC-9934 all taken in. We ended with the delightful Draco triplet of NGC-5981, 5982 and 5985 which look extra special in one field of view.  

Addition:- I totally forgot showing Mike NGC-2403 in camelopardilis. It was massive and we could make out the spirals in it very impressive. Also NGC-4326 a massive edge on galaxy which we also looked at during the brecon star party the first night. Top to bottom in the 13E it's central core skewed through the middle.

The wind by this time was beginning to get a bit gusty and I dropped the light shroud halfway down the tubes. It helped but for the next hour some diligence was required and trips to the chart were quick strides there and back.  

Lower Canes Venatici and Coma

Berenices provided the next few targets and some of the best of the night. NGC-4656+4657 or the hockey stick really impressed and showed it's flick at the end bright and clear.Just above NGC-4631 (the whale) was brilliant and huge and reminiscent of Andomeda with NGC-4627 looking like a satellite galaxy hung below in the field of view. The bulging to one end plain to see. NGC-4509 before the Coma border was all on it's own in the field.

Coma hopping and it was like falling over them. NGC-4144 (big and bright with plenty of spiral structure) 4359, 4375, 4393 (nice spiral), 4494 (massive elliptical), 4565 (needle galaxy) was edge to edge in Mikes 10mm pentax and had a massive dust lane comparable to NGC-891. We then both drifted back up into the huge galaxy cluster in the north east of the constellation. Here's the haul NGC-4251, 4283, 4286, 4278, 4274, 4310, 4245, 4253.

By now it was 5:45am and just time to catch Corvus rising but try as I may M68 glob eluded me the scope would not go low enough! Had to content myself with NGC-4462 and the planetary NGC4361 which looked very stellar but because of the amount of atmosphere no colours. NGC-4038/4039 the antennae galaxy was a very strange one and the mouth shape easy to make out but again low down it was a proper challenge with anything else.

M104 (Sombrero) was impressive for 6am and after collecting galaxies NGC-4680, 4700, 4782 and 4783 Virgo/Corvus it was nearly time to call it a night. Jupiter with the four moons to the east in the eyepiece made for a bit of easy viewing and Mike picked out the Medusa in Gemini to add to his tally for the night.

Another browse of M101 and M51 was my night's closing views. Still stunning and massive! :grin: 

By seven our little window on the universe was packed up and we were heading for the eider at Mikes before I headed home around midday bleary eye's an all, but well happy with what turned out to be a tremendous night that every individual into astronomy should at one time in their life experience. I've not counted up but it's not far off another century for me.

Big thanks to Mike for sharing his hallowed ground with those prepared to venture into the wilds to take in the wonder that is Bala.

Damian :thumbsup:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I nearly cried reading this, what a fantastic night was had by all...love that needle galaxy.Well done Damian and the rest of the mob flying the flag for dark sky trips. A superb read and a wonderful list...glad you got to compare those filters...clear skies mate 

super report Damian. sorry i had to leave so early but my morning adventure to snowdon killed me off but i did get a shot ;) .  M33 was a great sight in your scope and your mirror is very good you should be proud of that. A+++ for effort. 

oh and thanks for showing me the HH :D 

really enjoyed the company and it was a pleasure to meet you. nothing better than great company and skies to match.  

44 minutes ago, Daniel-K said:

super report Damian. sorry i had to leave so early but my morning adventure to snowdon killed me off but i did get a shot ;) .  M33 was a great sight in your scope and your mirror is very good you should be proud of that. A+++ for effort. 

oh and thanks for showing me the HH :D 

really enjoyed the company and it was a pleasure to meet you. nothing better than great company and skies to match.  

Cheers Dan means a lot that and yes I'm looking forward to the next time. Bala was great 

15 minutes ago, Daniel-K said:

by far one of the best NGCS IMO in my 16"it was a treat !

Like NGC4244 up in Canes Venatici too. Not looked at that either with the dob.

Just realised I've hardly seen owt! :grin:

What an epic post about an epic night! reading this had the hairs on my arms standing on end! and I'll admit slight watering of the eyes to boot! Really does sound like heaven!

Thanks for writing up such a great post :) and to Dan for illustrating the occasion with some great pics :)    

1 hour ago, estwing said:

I nearly cried reading this, what a fantastic night was had by all...love that needle galaxy.Well done Damian and the rest of the mob flying the flag for dark sky trips. A superb read and a wonderful list...glad you got to compare those filters...clear skies mate 

Was gutted for you Calv. 7805 and 6 I'll have to hit again and spend a bit more time there teasing out the detail. Great book that arp one 

Very nice report and a great trip by all. Lovely location from the pics taken obviously showing what a dark site is capable of through mark one eyeballs. And these views obviously only get better with the big dobs available to make the most of those dark sky'. Loads on show from the list you produced of targets located and viewed. An all nighter for most of the chaps, you guys certainly don't do things by half on the observation trips and sessions. 

I may  been mistaken but has Mike slipped a new eyepiece into the case?. Do I detect a Pentax 10XW in the case . It sounds like Mike was a good boy this year and Santa has rewarded this with a worthwhile present . It's nice to know Mike that these Pentax us normal mortals own can live next to the Ethos range. It says something for the Pentax XW but you know my feelings on these , they are just great. Nice eyepiece Mike and hope you enjoy. I love mine and its top class. 

Archived