Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Swansea UK

Jamie16v

Hello guys, Jamie here from Swansea, south wales. i just joined the forum after recently taking an interest in astronomy. I bought myself a sky-watcher explorer 130M a few weeks back as spares or repair on ebay for the measly price of £50. It cost me nothing to put right as most of it was just cleaning and servicing. The tripod brace had snapped but i made a new on up on my 3d printer (boosh) and i now have a fully functioning scope.

I haven't really done much gazing as of yet but i did manage to get out early hours this morning to catch a good glimpse of Jupiter and four of its moons, a little look at m42 after a bit of inspiration from another forums member, but i have a lot of light pollution around my house. 

I have also gone and bought a little celestron 76 firstscope so i can get the kids involved and for the size of it i am fairly impressed. 

I will be looking sometime to slowly upgrade my kit and sometime soon get a bigger scope, i really like the look of the skywatcher explorer 200p on the eq5 or heq5 (funds probably wont allow the heq5).

all the best guys, i hope to get chatting to you all soon in the forums.

Thank you! 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jamie and welcome.

If you keep your eye on the 2nd had columns & gumtree, etc, you'll come across a bargain eventually.

In the meantime you're more than well enough equipped to enjoy the astronomical canopy and by the sounds of it you're already up and running...

22 minutes ago, mikeyrea said:

by the sounds of it you're already up and running...

I think so lol, i figured out how to use the equatorial mount quite easy after watching a few how to video`s on youtube. I tracked Jupiter very well this morning so it must have been set up well. i took a break to do something (i can`t remember what) and when i went back all i did was move the RA and it came into view very easily. 

Hi Jamie

Got the SW Explorer 130P myself and added the motor drive and the autofocus later. Just bought a piece of very fine black felt from Boyes for £3.50 which I'm going to use to flock the tube later this week. Bought it pre loved from Gumtree so it's my play with scope to see what I can do with it

7 hours ago, BXRO said:

Just bought a piece of very fine black felt from Boyes for £3.50 which I'm going to use to flock the tube later this week. 

Hi, what are the advantages of flocking the scope if you don`t mind me asking?

Archived