Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just downloaded Stellarium.....oh dear!?

oldstout

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in your position about 2 weeks ago.  I assume it is on your phone, if so try hitting the block of 6 squares in the bottom LH corner and this will plant a load of icons at the bottom of the screen.  I experimented with clicking these on an off and they change how and what you see identified on the screen.  Turn on 'location' on your phone and click on the compass icon if its not already selected, and the icon that looks like head of a space alien with two odd sized eyes.  This second one turns on the landscape so you have a base line.  The first will make N, S, E & W appear on your screen and you can now drag the screen around a 360 radius and it will show you the stars that you should be able to see from your location.  if the time is wrong, once you are in the mode with all the icons on the screen click the three horizontal bars on the LH side of the screen and you will get options for date and time.  I also found that once you know what is above you can zoom in and out using pinch and pull techniques.

That's as much as I've learned, but that's been enough for me so far.  Hope it helps

I'm on my phone at the mo but at home I'm only using it on my laptop.

I actually opened it and was presented with a pic of an open field and a location about 6 miles from me!

I've got my lat and long but after noodling about and unable to change my location in the given boxes ( the programme would not let me change anything!?) I simply gave up. Frankly, at first look it appears way too advanced for my extremely limited experience....

Thanks for the advice everyone!

24 minutes ago, oldstout said:

Frankly, at first look it appears way too advanced for my extremely limited experience....

I wouldn’t say Stellarium's issue is that it’s too advanced... it’s just that it’s user interface sucks completely - it’s about as unintuitive as it gets. The _only_ other piece of software I’ve used whose menu systems operate in a similar way was SimCity 4 on PC about 13 years ago!

Having a fair degree of experience with unintuitive IT type Operating systems my approach nowadays is to continue pressing and experimenting with menus until I work out what everything does.  I haven't broken anything yet. The only thing that defeats me is when I find there is a bit of the software like an add-in that I haven't installed.  So my advice is  bit of confidence and keep clicking until you find what you guess should be there.

On 12/31/2016 at 15:10, JOC said:

Having a fair degree of experience with unintuitive IT type Operating systems my approach nowadays is to continue pressing and experimenting with menus until I work out what everything does.  I haven't broken anything yet. The only thing that defeats me is when I find there is a bit of the software like an add-in that I haven't installed.  So my advice is  bit of confidence and keep clicking until you find what you guess should be there.

Hahahaha, funnily emough my mate at work advocates if I'm having a rough shift to press all the buttons on my machine at the same time - then call the engineers to fix it whilst going for a cuppa.... :hello2:

Marci, FWIW in terms of being unintuitive Stellarium doesn't get close to being the most unintuitive IT type system that I've ever encountered.  That particular accolade goes to a specific IT system developed by a Gov. dept. in  a foreign country which I won't be pushed to put a name to.  However, in comparison to it Stellarium looks like it wrote the book on intuitive LOL

I've always found Stellarium pretty straightforward to use. Like anything new it requires a wee bit of investment of personal effort to become operationally familiar; just play around with it, have fun, you cannot break it :).  It was one of the first apps I used; first as a general planetarium to navigate the night sky for visual observing, and now controlling the scope alongside eqmod and stellariumscope for imaging.  Big thank you to the developers and all involved, it's a fantastic concept and gift to the astro community :)   Just don't forget to download the pdf manual and have a good read through before you delve in.

Jim

I'd say I'm the wrong guy to talk to on Stellarium - any version - that so appears to confuse & befuddle. I find it quite straight-foreward myself and never presented much of a challange. Certainly no more difficult than my #1. favorite I use mostly: The SkyX - Serious edition. I do like Stellarium and do use it, too. As well as CdC, and have no issues with any others such as Starry Night Pro & Sky Tools.

My guess is simply that many people are not "computer-people." No more than I would plan to take up juggling running chainsaws while riding a unicycle.

To each their own,

Dave

4 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

My guess is simply that many people are not "computer-people." No more than I would plan to take up juggling running chainsaws while riding a unicycle.

Easy peasy.  Where's your spirit of adventure? :smiley:

2 minutes ago, alexwolf said:

Oh no! Stellarium's GUI is... to difficult for understand. Really?!

I don't think it is, but it does take a little getting used to until you get used to the icons, what they represent and where they are.

Just one question, can you change the default resolution on opening from full screen to window?  I always have other stuff running so have to immediately do this whenever I open it, so would prefer if I can just have it open in a window?

Thanks and good work on what I think is a really good package, especially a free one.

1 minute ago, RayD said:

Just one question, can you change the default resolution on opening from full screen to window?  I always have other stuff running so have to immediately do this whenever I open it, so would prefer if I can just have it open in a window?

Please try:

1. Run Stellarium

2. Press F11

3. Change size and position of Stellarium to your preference 

4. Press F2

5. Press "Save settings" button

6. Restart Stellarium

7. Profit! :)

1 minute ago, alexwolf said:

Please try:

1. Run Stellarium

2. Press F11

3. Change size and position of Stellarium to your preference 

4. Press F2

5. Press "Save settings" button

6. Restart Stellarium

7. Profit! :)

Perfect thank you Alex much appreciated.

9 minutes ago, alexwolf said:

I highly recommend read the Stellarium User Guide (included in Stellarium package) - many questions will be resolved ;)

Alex, that would go against everything we know.  User guides and instructions are there only for when something is upside down, inside out or when looking for something in particular to settle an argument.  Those are items 1.12 and 1.13 of the man-rules :smiley:

Archived