Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First telescope

Just got a vivo 70 x 700 scope. Managed to tune in finder to main scope. Got a 1.5 x eyepiece. Barlow x3. Then 2 . A 2.5 and 4 mm lens. And a green thing for glare I think. Very new to this. Managed to find Jupiter. I think . The bright star in sky. Image not too good . Or maybe expecting a little too much .what lens is best .and what should I expect to see. Many thanks Martin from Mansfield UK.

Jupiter is up at about 5 am so if you were viewing in the evening, the bright 'star' in the east would probably be Venus.

In a decent sized scope you'd see very little detail but make out the phase probably.

Get something like stellarium it will help plan viewing times.

I think you may not have the length of your eyepieces correct. find the one with the biggest number on it and start with that - try without the barlow first, a 4mm and 3x barlow in your telescope will give x525 a 2.5mm and barlow will give x840, these are both far too high for the atmosphere in the UK and way, way too high for your telescope. They are often shipped with the scope so that the manufacturer can stick those magnifications on the side of the box. The green thing is probably a moon filter, as you say, to reduce glare.

I'll second Stellarium. It is one of the very best 'Planetarium-Programs' which will show you what's up in the sky from your location at any time you wish. And as many different types of objects as you tell it to: Stars, planets, galaxies, Moons, even man-made artificial satellites. All this: And totally free! Best deal out there. So here's a 'copy & paste' to help you get it:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On this link is the main page for downloading Stellarium. Choose which version is correct for your computer. Here you go:

http://www.stellarium.org/

As for instructions, a full copy of them is bundled with the program that you download. But if you need another copy for some reason, these can be downloaded here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/stellarium/files/Stellarium-user-guide/0.15.0-1/stellarium_user_guide-0.15.0-1.pdf/download

This program is quite large, so download when you have a few minutes. I'll leave you with a screenshot of mine, and also one of the screen approximating of how it looks when you begin. Please know I am an experienced user.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In The Beginning -

Stellarium Screenshot - Beginning Screen.png

Rather Advanced -

stellarium-235.png

Enjoy!

Dave

13 hours ago, rockystar said:

I think you may not have the length of your eyepieces correct. find the one with the biggest number on it and start with that - try without the barlow first, a 4mm and 3x barlow in your telescope will give x525 a 2.5mm and barlow will give x840, these are both far too high for the atmosphere in the UK and way, way too high for your telescope. They are often shipped with the scope so that the manufacturer can stick those magnifications on the side of the box. The green thing is probably a moon filter, as you say, to reduce glare.

Thank you

Archived