Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 29th Dec

neil phillips

Cheers for the comments. Its not easy out there. looking at the SERs seeing is still awful. But obviously wasn't as bad as the post were I showed the terrible seeing. Its odd because it looks on screen like a fast moving jet stream. But none was apparently over the UK ?

Good going Neil - there's some decent detail coming through here and nice to see the OO 250 in service again.    I got close to this on Tuesday morning, but despite good transparency the seeing was poor to horrendous this morning, Jupiter this was a big dancing blob of gas on my sensor and I gave up after two hours! 

Always good to get out though and I managed to sort the problems with my Arduino focuser, so not a total loss!

Hi Jake, yes it has been nightmare generally. What we have to remember is we are rising to 31 degrees. So of course for most of the night we are at twenty something. Those kind of elevations are always going to be challenging. Having said that I still think the winter is not being kind. And there is room for improvement. Hopefully as we get passed Feb. Not looked at the stats for that yet on Stellarium things may settle more.  Good to hear you got the focuser working. I am still using a coarse focuser here. Really should have got a micro focuser.

Massive improvment there Neil. Nice job. Still a long way to go to get close to your best but I just don't think you're going to get there this year even with your new ADC. Keep at it though, you know you enjoy those early mornings!! 

18 minutes ago, Freddie said:

Massive improvment there Neil. Nice job. Still a long way to go to get close to your best but I just don't think you're going to get there this year even with your new ADC. Keep at it though, you know you enjoy those early mornings!! 

Agreed Freddie, I had already resigned myself to the fact that this year is all about beating the odds. But Physics usually wins. So not expecting anything amazing. But its fun its a challenge. And once a planetary imager always a planetary imager. Untill the old body falls apart. Its just in the blood to keep going I think.

Cheers

14 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Good to hear you got the focuser working. I am still using a coarse focuser here. Really should have got a micro focuser.

I followed TekkyDave's thread, to make my own ascom compliant stepper focuser - Perhaps £ 35 in parts from ebay and steppers online and some rough soldering, driving the standard OC2 focuser (coarse focus).   Works a treat from Fire Capture and was really handy with the small adjustments for individual filters when shooting mono sequences on the, 'almost' parfocal Baader CCD filters - not quite so relevant now I've moved over to the one shot IMX224.     Though the ADC moves the focal point a little, so need to adjust focus as this is tweaked.

The problem now is that the image train is so long that it's nigh impossible to hold accurate collimation due to flex - need to try and shorten this - change barlow or make a longer OTA tube!  I've already slid the mirror cell back to it's fullest extent.

DSC_2033.JPG

Cheers Angie

Nice job Jake. Agreed I would be concerned about flex, I would look into any shortening you can get out of this. Using a ADC my train is also much longer now. Not as long as this. But one thing I have been doing is rotating the scope so the weight falls downwards. rather than sideways. This will help the problem a bit. Probably stating the obvious.

1 minute ago, Space Cowboy said:

Looking good Neil! A looong way to go before opposition, April I think? Very promising despite the low elevation.

Its actually quite encouraging isn't it Stuart. Because by spring things may settle down weather wise considerably. If that happens we could get some reasonable shots. As Freddie said, we will not be bettering our stuff from the past. But still some pleasing results could come. Roll on spring

Nicely done Neil, a good result at this stage. I hope we get some better conditions in the coming months as I've certainly missed doing some planetary work. It will be challenging to obtain great quality but there's always hope!! I will look forward to seeing your results progress with the new kit as well (ASI cam, ADC) as we approach opposition.

Pete

2 hours ago, theo said:

Nicely done Neil, a good result at this stage. I hope we get some better conditions in the coming months as I've certainly missed doing some planetary work. It will be challenging to obtain great quality but there's always hope!! I will look forward to seeing your results progress with the new kit as well (ASI cam, ADC) as we approach opposition.

Pete

Hi Pete Its good to be imaging Jupiter again. Though if I thought  it was challenging last year. This year is a different kettle of fish. Had about three captures around culmination

That were of similar quality. Though this one stood out as slightly tighter. I know its not top quality. But night and day from my first two attempts .

Archived