Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Polar Alignment with back problem

Moonshed

I have a problem with my back and neck that makes looking through the mount's PA eyepiece to line up on Polaris all but impossible. I seem to recall reading somewhere that it is possible to fit a camera over the EP and plug it into a laptop, much like Live View on APT, and use that instead, avoiding that so awkward squint through the EP.  Does anyone have any information on where I can find about this? Also does it work with APT or have its own software? Finally, is there any way using this camera and software that would enable me to be sure that the star I am lining up on is in fact Polaris? I say this because it can be a challenge to be sure and I have in the past completed a perfect PA except it being the wrong star. Doh! I have  Bresser Exos 2 EQ5.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks, Keith.

Sharp cap has a polar alignment feature that seems to work really well.  I have problems and struggled to polar align whilst on my dodgy knees.

I think he is still developing the software but it works well for me, check out the sharp cap section on the forums.

Gareth 

1 hour ago, Pompey Monkey said:

I know it costs the best part of three-hundred quid, but the QHY Polemaster would suit you to a tee. It's really quick to accurately polar align too - less than five minutes. Just make sure that you buy one with the correct adapter for your Bresser mount.

Thanks for that, it does sound ideal but will have to wait a while because I can't afford it just now. However it is the sort of thing I was looking for. 

1 hour ago, AKB said:

+1 for SharpCap v2.9.  It's really excellent.  I typically get under 1' accuracy, allegedly...

...and it uses my existing camera and guide scope, so no additional hardware needed.

Thanks guys that sounds worth looking into, I do have SharpCap installed because I used it with my planetary camera. I will check which version it is and if not 2.9 will download it and give it a go. Thanks again.

22 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

Thanks guys that sounds worth looking into, I do have SharpCap installed because I used it with my planetary camera. I will check which version it is and if not 2.9 will download it and give it a go. Thanks again.

Just a 'heads up' if you do try it: read the on-screen instructions carefully as it walks you through the simple three steps.  The absolutely crucial part is to step onto the final screen after you have done the second plate solve at a different orientation BEFORE you start adjusting the azimuth or elevation bolts.

1 hour ago, AKB said:

Just a 'heads up' if you do try it: read the on-screen instructions carefully as it walks you through the simple three steps.  The absolutely crucial part is to step onto the final screen after you have done the second plate solve at a different orientation BEFORE you start adjusting the azimuth or elevation bolts.

Okay, thanks for the warning.

On 29 December 2016 at 14:28, Garethr said:

Sharp cap has a polar alignment feature that seems to work really well.  I have problems and struggled to polar align whilst on my dodgy knees.

I think he is still developing the software but it works well for me, check out the sharp cap section on the forums.

Gareth 

Hi Gareth,

I have downloaded the new version of SharpCap v2.9 and it does look as if would be a great solution. However, looking at the on screen instructions it would appear I need to have a guide scope, which I don't, I just use a Telrad. Is the guide scope essential? I had assumed just connecting my camera to the laptop in the usual way would be enough, but seem that is not the case. Can't understand why it has to have a guidescope to get it PA though, or am I getting this wrong somehow?

Thanks. Keith,

Well it looks as if SharpCap is out of the running. I do not have a guide scope and what's more it doesn't seem able to recognise my Camera, a Canon 1100D, it think maybe it has to be CCD camera?

Anyway, the QHY PoleMaster is just looking better and better and at £280 I think it will prove to be worth every penny. It will just have to go on my credit card, it will hardly be noticed!

I cant wait, PA without all that nasty bending down, craning the neck upwards, groaning knees and painful back, they will all be things of the past, along with almost right PA that only shows up after wasting an hour or more and downloading subs with stars that have little tails. Goodbye and good riddance to all that. ?✨✨✨✨✨✨?

41 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

I think you will love the PoleMaster - so easy to use and as you don't already have a suitable CCD camera and guide scope, your financial hit is not as high as it seems at first!

Hi Steve,

Yes, you make a valid point, plus I'm sure it will prove to be the ideal solution for me. As for the cost, well, initially I didn't want to fork out more money so soon after Christmas, but in the great scheme of things it's not so much to pay. I tend to measure the worth of a thing by the amount of pleasure it affords me and this hobby has given me endless hours of pleasure since I was around 15, I am now 71. Did I say hobby? No, this is no mere hobby, it's much more than that.

With new technology coming onto the market, almost weekly it seems, astrophotography just gets better and better and easier and easier. The images I can now take would have been  impossible a few years ago, and some of the Images members post look as if they came from a professional observatory. Who'd have thought...?

Cheers

Keith

Keith,

Sorry I hadn't realised you were not guiding at the moment.

If you went for one of the ZWO cameras a 50mm finderscope and a set of rings you would still be under the £280 cost of the pole master and have the ability to guide your mount as a bonus.  2 for the price of 1 something we astromoners are always happy with.   No more neck pain and guided subs.

I use a finderscope held in place using pipe brackets and a second hand QHY works well for me and cost about £150 all in. 

Gareth 

On 31 December 2016 at 09:44, Garethr said:

Keith,

Sorry I hadn't realised you were not guiding at the moment.

If you went for one of the ZWO cameras a 50mm finderscope and a set of rings you would still be under the £280 cost of the pole master and have the ability to guide your mount as a bonus.  2 for the price of 1 something we astromoners are always happy with.   No more neck pain and guided subs.

I use a finderscope held in place using pipe brackets and a second hand QHY works well for me and cost about £150 all in. 

Gareth 

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the reply. I have only just started astrophotography using digital cameras, having  stared many years ago before digital cameras came on line using a film camera. I gave up film about 10 years ago. After a long layoff due to health problems I am back imaging again so in this respect purchased a Canon 1100D a few months ago and have been on a steep learning curve since. I do not as this stage wish to purchase a CCD camera. I appreciate what you say but will stick with my DSLR as I have grown to love it. I am going ahead with the  PoleMaster, to hell with the cost? I am just in contact with the U.K. Supplier about which adapter I need and will then place the order. Can't wait!

Cheers

Keith

Archived