SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Can my kit be adapted to view the sun?

JOC

So at this time of year viewing the sun seems somewhat warmer as an occupation than just viewing the stars, it would also get more use from the telescope.  I've been reading up on SGL.  Is my understanding correct Please?

i.e.

I can use my existing telescope, but with the following provisos:

1.  It is a good idea to remove the sighting scope as it probably isn't needed and then I won't need to worry about a filter for it.

2.  The best thing to buy might be a pre-formed filter like the proper solar ones I can buy from FLO which fits right over the big open end of my main 8" tube - I then tape this on for security?  I need to make a cover to over the open portion of my main 8" tube (it extends on three long bars) so that stray sun doesn't get in.

Once I've done the above I can safely use one of my existing lenses to view the sun through my telescope without doing anything further - yes?  If not please advise on what other adaptations checks are needed

That's right just be sure to get the visual solar filter not the imaging one.

You may wish to consider extra filtration for the eyepiece, the Baader solar continuum filter gives a lot more contrast.

You may want to buy or make a solar finder, the sun is surprisingly hard to point a scope at.  I made a solar finder out of a piece of metal I punched a hole in.

Yes, but you are limited to white-light viewing.

whitelight.gif

Don't be expecting to see prominences or filaments- these are the preserve of hydrogen-alpha kit.

You made a very good point about shrouding the tube of your Flextube- sunlight hitting the primary could do a lot of damage to your scope. Even worse damage to your eye if you managed to be near the eyepiece.

If you buy the correct size filter for the front of your scope from FLO you won't have to tape it on. Nothing wrong in taping it on (belt and braces) but there are three thumb screws which will secure it safely.

Hope you enjoy solar viewing but be aware old Sol is very quiet in white light just now and we are heading for solar minimum. ??

But don't despair just store your filter safely when it's not in use. The Active Regions (spots) will return. ??

Many thanks all, maybe I'll check out the cost of the filters and see how I can shroud the flex-tube and have a try with it.  I'm glad my understanding of what I'd read seems correct, but I am so very pleased that you were all here to check with as I know that it something that you don't get a second chance at if you get it wrong.  That white view is quite interesting - I didn't really know what I expected to see, but I think its sun-spots that I am interested in seeing (those are what I've heard about), and from what Floater has written it sounds like I will be able to see those with the kits you've pointed me at :-D  Many thanks

Moonshane - wow, you've been a busy person.  I like how the pictures explain more clearly than any amount of words can what you have been seeing and more cheaply and easily than a photograph can.  I could take a sketch book out with me to make notes on - I have already been writing down diagrams to help me find key stars to set the computer up with next time I use it - I suppose what I need is a notebook that I can use to keep some sort of permanent record.  I guess the ideal weapon would be a diary with unlined pages, but I bet you can't buy one of those.  I guess a plain notebook will have to suffice.

16 hours ago, JOC said:

Many thanks all, maybe I'll check out the cost of the filters and see how I can shroud the flex-tube and have a try with it. 

You can make a shroud using one of those foam exercise or camping mats by just cutting it to size and taping it onto the scope. However, if you intend using it for solar I think it is worth investing in a proper shroud that will not fall off. I used one of these on my 16" version of the scope you have and it worked very well: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/astrozap-light-shroud-for-skywatcher-flextube.html

As someone said earlier, it can be surprisingly difficult to get the Sun in the field ofvView.  After several tries with different solar finder devices, I went down a slightly unconventional route of just attaching a solar finder to the finder scope - simples. :icon_biggrin:

https://www.telescopehouse.com/solar-observing/solar-filters/orion-safety-film-solar-filter-with-2-32-inch-internal-dia.html

Cheap solar finder, 2 screws in the top of the scope rings and move scope around while holding a sheet of white paper behind the back one, when the shadows overlap the Sun appears in the eyepiece.

Dave

Solar finder.jpg

Archived