Narrowband

NGC2170

ollypenrice

Anyone tried this? In favour: it's very beautiful.

Against: it's very low from European locations, even here at Lat 44. It's very faint. As in very. It also lies on the geostationary satellite equivalent of the M25. Call it five trails per sub if you're lucky. Fifteen if you're not.* It is attractive in both colour and structure so there are no short cuts. You need a lot of luminance and a lot (oh yesss...) of colour.

I am hoping to finish it one day but, at sixty three, I feel I should have started this as a young man...

* Why are these satellites predominantly green?

:rolleyes:lly

PS As usual, this is O'Donoghue's fault!

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Anyone tried this

Hi Olly - Tried this a year ago.  In hindsight less NR and a touch more refinement would have been nice in the processing but here was my first attempt.

ngc 2170paddy.jpg

May go back and reprocess now you have highlighted it again.

It is worth persevering though - if I could get this out of the data a year ago (when I really had little idea what i was doing!) then i suspect there is something nice hiding in there :)

Paddy

11 hours ago, Tim said:

Have you got a pic Olly?

Coming soon... :help:

8 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Hi Olly - Tried this a year ago.  In hindsight less NR and a touch more refinement would have been nice in the processing but here was my first attempt.

ngc 2170paddy.jpg

May go back and reprocess now you have highlighted it again.

It is worth persevering though - if I could get this out of the data a year ago (when I really had little idea what i was doing!) then i suspect there is something nice hiding in there :)

Paddy

Great result, Paddy. The framing captures that tail of dust superbly. Maybe just ease off the colour saturation a tad?

I made the mistake of looking at Rob Gendler's last night. Wowser...

Olly

12 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Anyone tried this? In favour: it's very beautiful.

Against: it's very low from European locations, even here at Lat 44. It's very faint. As in very. It also lies on the geostationary satellite equivalent of the M25. Call it five trails per sub if you're lucky. Fifteen if you're not.* It is attractive in both colour and structure so there are no short cuts. You need a lot of luminance and a lot (oh yesss...) of colour.

I am hoping to finish it one day but, at sixty three, I feel I should have started this as a young man...

* Why are these satellites predominantly green?

:rolleyes:lly

PS As usual, this is O'Donoghue's fault!

I m happy to take any blame associated with too much data :)

Rob Gendlers image is just so good.  He did use the Australia service and not New Mexico though, so the higher latitude so to speak would give a much better signal. And its over 20 hours per panel. So I think we re in the right ball park with what we re doing. My old Tak data has tonnes of airplane trails in it. If I remember correctly, this and the Witchead are the worst placed objects in the sky for trails.

Tom

4 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Maybe just ease off the colour saturation a tad

Agreed and a tad less NR would be more suited I think.  As I mentioned to @Tom OD was what I know refer to as my 'Hollywood', a phase i went through (sorry about that!) :) it catches the eye on first glance but lacks the subtlety, finesse and quality to have any long lasting impact.  A revisit is due ASAP me thinks.....  

2 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Agreed and a tad less NR would be more suited I think.  As I mentioned to @Tom OD was what I know refer to as too 'Hollywood', a phase i went through (sorry about that!) :) it catches the eye on first glance but lacks the subtlety, finesse and quality to have any long lasting impact.  A revisit is due ASAP me thinks.....  

I'm more an Ollywood man myself... Groan

I'm just posting a version on the DS board now.

Olly

EDIT: Oh, this IS the DS board! I meant it to go in Imaging Discussion. :icon_albino: I'll put the pic in a proper thread.

Archived