Alpha Centauri

Sorry for not posting in a while. Just wondering if the Alpha Centauri System is visible at any time during the Northern Hemisphere. If anyone could tell me I would appreciate it very much.

Also, is it possible to see Proxima Centauri with a 12" telescope?

Thanks.

Corkey

Depends how close the equator you live. I would not be able to see it here from Finland. I think you could see Proxima centauri with 12"...

No hope at the 52+ish N. latitude for you folks in the UK. Or me either at 44.28N.

Now if we lived in Miami, Florida or some such - maybe? Not sure where the cut-off would be. But if I travel South again..... A decent telescope would be the first thing I'd pack! I, too, would greatly enjoy a chance to see our neighboring triple-star system. And Canopus & environs. Oh yeah!

Dave

Proxima Centauri would be visible with a 12" scope but the scope would need to be much further south than the UK.

From the UK I have seen Barnards Star with my 12" scope which is in the constellation Ophiuchus. That is the closest star to us (apart from the Sun) that is visible from the UK as far as I know.

12 hours ago, John said:

Proxima Centauri would be visible with a 12" scope but the scope would need to be much further south than the UK.

From the UK I have seen Barnards Star with my 12" scope which is in the constellation Ophiuchus. That is the closest star to us (apart from the Sun) that is visible from the UK as far as I know.

Have you made any attempt to detect Barnards movement John?   At 10.3 arc seconds a year mind you, it represents a monumental test of patience :icon_biggrin:.

Archived