Am I Doing it Wrong?

Hello everyone.  I wasn't sure what beginner sub-forum to place this in, so this seemed as good as any.

Anyway, so my 7 year old received a telescope for Xmas.  It is an Edu-Science Astro Gazer 70-700.  I know these aren't exactly quality scopes, but it was a gift from his grandmother, so it's what we're working with, until he proves he's genuinely interested enough in astronomy for a better one.  That said, I set it up yesterday and thought with how bright and well placed Venus is, we'll give that a go.  So, I focus on Venus and got a brilliant white disk... and nothing else.  No detail, no matter the focusing or the eye piece.  I used both the 12.5mm and 26mm.  The image appeared sharp, just not stripes, clouds, or anything.  Now admittedly, I've never used a telescope before so I don't  know what to expect from Venus, but I assumed there might be some variation in cloud color or something to that effect, especially in the 12.5mm when it is filling the view.  I then tried Mars, and got a black/grey disk, again with no detail or color.  I understand it's about as far away as it can get so details will be scarce, but I assumed I'd at least see the classic red/orange tint.  Would these issues be due to light pollution, as I live in the suburbs of a major city.  Finally on the topic of viewing issues, whenever I viewed an object, there was this effect of bubbles constantly popping in and out of view over the object.  It reminded me of looking down on a pot of water just as it is reaching the boiling point.

Assuming I figure out these issues, what are some good objects to view with this telescope?  My son is really getting into space and astronomy, and I want to really show him a good time.  Any help in these areas is greatly appreciated.

Honestly, it doesn't sound that you are doing anything wrong.

Firstly, there's a very good thread here ----> https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/196278-what-can-i-expect-to-see/ that will tell you what you can expect to see. Too many people have been fooled by photo's taken from satellites and the Hubble telescope being plastered on the box containing the telescope, and thinking they will see things like that. The sad truth is that Venus will just appear like a small white disk, and Mars (at the moment anyway) like a small reddish disk.

The highest magnification you will get with the eyepieces you have is x56, which will be good enough to show the rings of Saturn and probably the cloud belts on Jupiter (as well as the 4 main moons).

Light pollution will definitely affect your viewing, to see stars/planets/etc at their best you need a really dark site (if possible). As for the 'bubbles' you saw, that is probably down to thermal currents (the 'twinkling' you can see in stars with the naked eye is magnified with a telescope).

There are plenty of objects you can look at. Best at the moment is the Orion Nebula, just under the belt of Orion. Best viewed with a low-power eyepiece, it really is one of those WOW moments when you first see it. The Moon is always a good target when it's around, particularly around the terminator where you get the best shadows in the craters. The double star Albireo is always a favourite; found at the foot of the cross of Cygnus (or the head of the swan if you prefer), the stars show a marked colour difference - one golden-yellow, the other blue.

Download a copy of Stellarium (free), that will show you loads of stuff you can see at the moment. The most important thing though is just enjoy the 'scope and discovering the wonders of the night sky :)

Hey DaddyP - welcome to SGL! I suspect that you will struggle to get any detail on Venus as the maximum magnification you are getting with the 12.5mm eyepiece is around 56x and venus is very far away! The bubbling you describe is possible due to the "seeing" on that particular night - I believe the planets are lower in the sky at the moment, so you may be looking through more atmosphere than when they are higher in the sky.

If you can see them at any time, Saturn and Jupiter are worth trying - not sure about your location, but if you download Stellarium (free planetarium software) you will be able to figure out where they are relative to you at any time.

Hopefully, at 56x you will be able to pick out some coloration/banding on Jupiter and certainly its moons (I can pick those up at around 12-15x magnification). Saturn might show some shape to the rings, but you probably won't see any distinction between them - they are great targets though and will certainly whet the appetite if you can see them. You will likely be pushing the scope with the 12.5mm eyepiece, but just take your time at the eyepiece and see what you can see.

Of course, you could try some other eyepieces, a 10mm or 8mm might give you a bit more but, again, be pushing the limitations of the scope. 

And, don't forget the moon! There is so much to see on the moon. When you next get the chance, and the moon is out, take a look and you will be able to see lots of fun detail which should also get you hooked.

If you don't see much, don't get despondent. Keep going and enjoy it!

Have a read around recent posts in this beginners forum, many new starters are having the same experience with venus and mars.

they are not well placed at the moment and Venus is only 50% illuminated.

its great you are asking questions - it's the best way forward!

the broiling occurs because the air temp in the scope is not the same as the air temp outsider the scope. You should allow the scope to stand outside and cool for 30mins before you start.

best objects at the moment are M42 Orion Nebula and M45 Pleiades. Also try for the double cluster.

to find these are more of the major objects I recommend you buy a book , start with "turn left at Orion" (it's a great book, has 100s of objects, tells you how to find them and even has sketches showing what you will see in a small scope)

Hope this helps, keep asking questions...

Alan

Daddy P, I'm sure others will join in shortly with similar advice, firstly persevere, it takes time to become familiar with both the telescope and the sky.  You are certainly unlikely to be able to resolve any significant detail on either Venus or Mars with your telescope. You may be able to detect the phases of Venus (its disc waxes and wanes just like our Moon).  As for further targets, I'd start with the Moon - it's a good target to practice tracking and focus control.  Rather than viewing the full Moon (too bright to see much detail) wait for a crescent Moon where you will find a more interesting view.  You could also try finding Jupiter, again you will not see surface detail, but you should be able to resolve the Galilean Moons. You may also be able , at a push, to discern the Orion Nebula (M42) and Andromeda Galaxy (M31) as dim fuzzy clouds.  Other suggestions - download Stellarium (free planetarium) it will help you become familiar with the night sky and find targets and also take a read through the getting started section of the forum.  Good luck and keep at it, it takes time but it is rewarding.

Jim

Wow, thank you all for the fantastic replies!  I'm genuinely impressed!

I should correct myself and say I've looked through a telescope before at the local university, but I've never had the pleasure to own and operate my own.  I've never viewed Venus before so I wasn't sure what to expect, and am glad to it is just indeed a bright white ball.  I wasn't sure if it had different cloud bands and what not, but from what I've read from you all, that's a negative.  However, I at the lease expected to see some sort of reddish tint to Mars, even if it is distant, but that wasn't the case at all.  Combine that with the bubbling effect, and I was wondering if I wasn't getting something right.

I'll try Saturn tomorrow, possibly, but will likely need to wait for that as well as M42 and M31.   I have a stellar view of the Orion constellation, but I need to be in the front of my house, and both neighbors have Griswald'esque Christmas displays out.  The moon will also need to wait, as it is currently a day or two from new moon and practically invisible.

Welcome to SGL :)

With regard to Venus the most you can expect to see is the phase of it depending on where the sun is shining from and whether your telescope will provide enough magnification and if the atmosphere and telescope will allow enough image quality - I've made out the phase at less than 60x with budget binoculars although it is a very small image. At the moment Venus is half lit so you might just make out a semi-circle shape, but no surface detail. The best target to start with is the moon - that gets the most wows from my kids!

You might catch Jupiter almost due south at about 06:00 tomorrow (that is clouds permitting). This is your best opportunity to see any planetary moons/detail.

But Saturn is too low and too close to the sun an hour later. Do not attempt this without a proper solar filter. You might not glimpse Saturn for some months.

At around 18:15 tomorrow; find Venus. Then Mars will be roughly at about the ten o'clock position. Venus, Mars, Neptune and Uranus are then all (almost) in one line.  You might just glimpse the latter, but I doubt if your scope/EPs will see Neptune. 

Archived