Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings from Manchester

KBS

Hi All

After years of pestering the wife finally got me a telescope for Christmas.  Sky Watcher 1309 EQ2.  I'm made up with it.

Just starting to get to grips with it.  I have everything calibrated and have an understanding of how to use the lenses.  I have a 25mm, 10mm and a X2 Barlow to get me going.  I'm going to spend some time with it tonight and try to observe the Orion Nebula weather permitting.

Total amateur at present but looking forward to the ride and getting involved with you guys!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. I hope the sky is clear for you tonight. Start off with your low power (25mm ) eyepiece. This will give you enough magnification and field of view to observe the nebula. Look to the right of the the top right hand star of Orion. You will see a bright yellowish star. This is Aldebaran in Taurus. Further right on almost the same line you will find the Pleiades, a beautiful open cluster known as the seven sisters. Good luck.

Ho, greetings from Lincolnshire, hope you enjoy your visits to SGL, plenty of people about to help you on your journey. Thick fog here at the moment and it's not for cast to clear overnight so the only viewing I will be doing will be on the Tele. Say hello to Orion for me when you see him?

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Just settling in with my scope for the night.  Currently looking at what I believe to be Alnair. That's as long as I have my app set correctly :icon_biggrin:

I'm only a few days into this as well, but did get to view the Orion Nebula last night.  Beautiful.  But even more beautiful than that, was viewing at the Pleiades.  Mind blowing how bright blue it was!  If you're able to see it, I highly recommend it.  Happy Viewing!

15 minutes ago, Jon the Newb said:

I'm only a few days into this as well, but did get to view the Orion Nebula last night.  Beautiful.  But even more beautiful than that, was viewing at the Pleiades.  Mind blowing how bright blue it was!  If you're able to see it, I highly recommend it.  Happy Viewing!

I'll be sure to look out for both. Going to start in about half an hour. :hello2:

Managed to observe M42 after some messing about.

Absolutely beautiful.  I can't stop looking at it.  Safe to say I'm hooked. The wife may regret this Christmas present!  :icon_biggrin:

Quick one actually, I want to look at seven sisters now but it's pretty much directly above my head.  Should I be pointing the scope directly upwards? Don't want to damage it. It seems unstable when I try.

3 minutes ago, KBS said:

Managed to observe M42 after some messing about.

Absolutely beautiful.  I can't stop looking at it.  Safe to say I'm hooked. The wife may regret this Christmas present!  :icon_biggrin:

My wife bought me my telescope for Christmas as well lol she loves it just as much though

1 minute ago, Reaper606 said:

Oh lord that's horrible in a United fan. In stateside and its hard to find any EPL enthusiasts here. I got a couple United kits, warm up shirts, and such. Ever been to a match?

I've had a season ticket at City for the last 18 years.  Been to Old Trafford loads but always in the away end. :hello2:

4 minutes ago, Reaper606 said:

The Stretford end or the other? Think Rooney will surpass Sir Bobby Charlton? Man its a dream of mine to go to Old Trafford

No I've never been in the Stretford end.  I only go when they play City and sit with the City fans in the away end.  I prefer our stadium for what it's worth ha ha.

Archived