Narrowband

Dob V SCT ...

Guest telescope4u

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends what you want from a scope...

Personally having to manually track an object is a pain in the Bottom. I like to be able to go away for half an hour come back and it still be in the FOV. :lol:

Also as I'm into imaging a dob is hardly suitable (without some form of driven platform).

Ant

OK, if I lived somewhere nice and remote with dark skies and wasn't bothered about getting into DSO imaging I would get a dob. With all the money I saved I could buy a little mak, or some really fancy EPs or go on holiday.

Martin

Personally I haven't seen an SCT for a very long time that didn't have at least a RA drive.

And yes before you all start on me, I'm sure that you can still get them....

I used to know a guy that had a 16" Dob, and the images were great, I mean really really nice. Much better than a 10SCT - it's the pure light gathering power... But it was nothing more than two mirrors a tube and a box to sit in. The images were great but Give me a 10" SCT / Newt any day (driven) :lol:

Ant

I said Dob regarding the portabilty issue Gaz, although I see your point. But dob V sct it is. :blackeye:

Fair enough buddy, its your thread. I'd point out that for the price of a GOTO 8" SCT you can get a 16" Dob and a equatorial platform.....Of course you've got to be able to set the [removed word] up!! :lol:

A Dob for observing by a mile there so quick to setup and get going esp with the weather we get in the UK.Deep sky bliss.

SCT for imaging and Planetry observing an f/10 Dob would just about knoeck the roof tiles of me place hehe.

James :lol::(

Dob is the mount. Newt is the scope. I have yet to see an SCT without a driven mount. Alt/Az or Equatorial.

An 8" newt will have better contrast than an 8" SCT simply because of the lower obstruction of the secondary. Period. What more do you need?

I agree, the only plus that a SCT has over a Newt is size.

Blimey, how many times have we had this discussion? :lol:

I can see an argument for both types. I would like a dob, something like the Revelation 8, that i could take to a dark site for the visual deep sky splendor.

But on the other hand, would I swap my C8 for an 8" or 10" Newt....not a chance!

Done the Newt thing......got the tshirt, don't want to do it again. To big, awkward and clumsy. But they are great scopes and a match for most things optically.

SCT cool down can be a real pain...actually thats it's major downfall. Image shift is a minor annoyance easily corrected with an SCT crayford.

Russ

Damien,

The question is flawed.

Because…

Unless you state a purpose - planetary, DSO, whatever - then the question is incomplete.

Martin is right; the designs are too dissimilar to be generally compared.

And, if they are to be compared then people must see beyond the tendency to see Newts/Dobs as ‘cheap alternatives’. If you were to spend the same on a Newt as you would an SCT, then the Newt would be truly stunning. (The fact that a Newtonian at a quarter the price of an SCT can deliver similar quality speaks volumes!)

Just my opinion,

Steve :lol:

And, if they are to be compared then people must see beyond the tendency to see Newts/Dobs as ‘cheap alternatives’. If you were to spend the same on a Newt as you would an SCT, then the Newt would be truly stunning. (The fact that a Newtonian at a quarter the price of an SCT can deliver similar quality speaks volumes!)

That depends Steve. A secondhand 8" OTA can be had for roughly the same as an Orion Optics 8" newt. And if your lucky on your scouting around you may pick up a C9.25 for a tidy sum. As to which is best, well no one will ever agree on that. Both types have their distinct advantages, depends what your needs and preferences are.

Russ,

Damien started it!! BTW have you sold your SCT yet

Ah yes, but thats to fund either a C9.25 or a 7" Mak.

Hey, your talking about my scope there.....

Sorry Caz, they are great scopes and I loved my newts (the 8" was better than the 10" btw), but i grew tired of their size and akwardness (10" especially).

SCT's may have their flaws but collimated up and cooled down, they perform really well. And Celestron make the best SCT's...but perhaps thats better left to another discussion. :lol:

Russ

Sorry Caz, they are great scopes and I loved my newts (the 8" was better than the 10" btw), but i grew tired of their size and akwardness (10" especially).

No worries, perhaps in time I shall see their flaws, but for now, I'm lovin' it... :lol::p :p

Notice flaws vs a SCT? Not through the eyepiece you won't.... :(

Russ,

Whats the deal with the mirror, I must have missed that?

Gaz

That depends Steve. A secondhand 8" OTA can be had for roughly the same as an Orion Optics 8" newt. And if your lucky on your scouting around you may pick up a C9.25 for a tidy sum.

I was talking like for like Russ; if we start comparing new prices for one, secondhand for another...

Notice flaws vs a SCT? Not through the eyepiece you won't....

Russ,

Whats the deal with the mirror, I must have missed that?

Gaz

Gaz, you're right, at the eyepiece there's very little reason to criticise the newt. Although 4 issues spring to mind:

1/ coma on scopes f6 or faster

2/ poor focus travel

3/ fast newts require precise collimation to perform well

4/ poor contrast on fast newts

Points 3 and 4 off course apply to SCT's as well.

The C9.25 uses an F2.5 focal ratio primary mirror. All Meades and the C8 use an F2 primary mirror.

Russ

Well Guys I've read all the If's, Ands, and Buts, and can't understand what all the fuss is about. A scope is a Scope regardless of how it's mounted or what fancy name it goes under...or what pricy equipment one has to drive it or not to drive it. Use whatever you feel you like and whatever fits your pocket...Some of us Oldies on state pensions have to cut our cloth to suite if we wish to carry on with our hobby, Newt or Ref. it all boils down to the same thing in the end...does it give you the view your looking for.

If so...then good luck and good seeing.

Regards to all AJ :lol:

If you haven't seen a SCT with a tracking mount i'll be happy to send you one Astroman. I'll also send you a tripod or do you have one?

Do you mean "without" a tracking mount? Sure, send me one! Small MAK's don't count, though. :lol: I just figured you were referring to an 8" Dob and an 8" SCT.

Archived