SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Very transparent last night!!! Image added...

clarkpm4242

Took the lazy option and opted for the TMB 92mm f5.5 Flourite triplet APO with 31m Nagler, 13m Ethos and UHC & Hbeta filters.  Can carry it out fully set up from the bedroom to the screened observing spot in the back garden.

M33, M35 naked eye.  Milky Way deep down into Monoceros.

Started with some Milky Way cruising to get fully dark adapted then to cut to the chase...

IC 434 was easily visible without a filter, the H beta added more contrast and with gentle movement of the scope brought out the Horsehead!!  I wouldn't have believed it until it happened.  Previous minimum aperture for the HH had been 200mm.

The brightest part of Barnard's Loop was 'obvious' to the north of M78, unfiltered.

Wished I had a finder chart for the Eridanus Loop but didn't want to loose my dark adaptation, could be a long wait for another night that transparent though!!!

Repeatedly observed the HH and Loop between brighter fuzzies to confirm my observations.

That was an eye opener of a session!!

Hope you all got an eyeful :)

Paul

Edit Image taken the following night. Canon 7D MKII Star71 on AstroTrac.

Flame and Horse Head-3s.jpg

last night was a really nice night, albeit a cold one. didnt finish work till 9pm so didnt have the energy to go out else would have been a great night for it. glad you got some nice views

Cloudy skies for me the past 4 days ???. I just got my scope the day before Christmas and have been able to go out for one good night so far. That night, by far, was one of the best times I've had in my life to date. Looked at the great orion nebula for a good half hour and even got to see andromeda for a couple minutes. Sounds like you all had a great night last night. Congrats and clear skies!!!

6 hours ago, faulksy said:

bet the HH was small in such a low power ep.

The Ethos gives ~40 magnification.  Was a case of movement highlighting a missing part of IC434 repeatedly in exactly the right location.

Girding my loins for an astrophotography session tonight...

Great session, Paul.  Despite having some good clear nights recently we've not had particularly good transparency - galaxies in particular have really struggled to punch through.  Very good effort on the HH - something I'm yet to see.

Good luck for tonight!

The Ethos are good with nebulas.

I could see the HH notch in the borg89 with ethos13 last night!  Swapped to the 10mm Delos and it was nowhere to be seen. ( with astronomik Hb filter)

barnards loop was lovely and red in the Cpc1100 with ethos21 and the flame was fantastic too. (With astronomik uhc)

First time I've seen any colour- made my night :)

Archived