Newbie advice and tips

Hi everyone. 

I recieved my first telescope for Christmas off my husband. He got me the Celestron Astro master 130. He said he looked into it and read that this was a good beginners telescope. I find space extremely interesting but I literally know nothing. I have bought the Astro master accessories kit as it contains some more eyepieces plus the 2x Barlow lens and also a couple of filters. 

So I'm just wondering if you guys have any hints and tips for me. I'm still waiting for a clear night when the moon is out because I have read that the moon is the easier thing to start off with. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

I think my husband was hoping I could just point and find planets but I'm finding it's not that simple. Just need a bit of advice really I tried last night there were some stars out but all I got was black and not quite black but nothing clear all fuzzy. 

Hello. And welcome to SGL.

I recommend you download stellarium which is great .

Also the book"Turn left at Orion" a wonderful book for the backyard astronomer, which will show you possible targets and loads of information 

I hope you like the above and it helps☺

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. Set up your scope in day light and try to focus on a distant object, a mile or two away. This will help you get a feel for your scope. Use the lowest power eyepiece, the one marked 20 mm. Do not worry that the image is upside down. This is normal for a reflector telescope and when view in space there is no up or down.

36 minutes ago, Keds195 said:

Thank you both. I have downloaded stellarium. And I will look at getting the book you mentioned. 

I will take it out tomorrow in the day and see what I can find thank you. 

Hi and welcome to the mad house called SGL.:hello:

If you take your scope out during daylight be very sure you DON'T point it at the sun (assuming it is out) or you can very quickly damage your eyes and possibly the scope eyepiece as well.

Anything else is quite safe.

You will soon get used to how it all works so ENJOY.

Best regards and a Happy New Year.

Sandy.:icon_biggrin:

Hi, Keds. As above, 'Turn Left at Orion' is very nearly a 'must have' book and I'm pretty sure you can download an e-copy for free. Give it a Google.

Most important is that you have fun. You're right about starting with the moon and, if you're an early riser, Jupiter is another rewarding target just now.

Welcome to SGL

Aligning your finger scope and downloading stelarium should be your first tasks. Secondly (and this must be stressed) is to manage your expectations-allot of people get into this hobby thinking that they will get the same views that you see on TV and in magazines, ain't going to happen. For the most it is all just black and white with a coupe smudges here and there!! That being said when you see things like the Orion nebula, Jupiter, Saturn etc it will blow you away! and yes the moon is a great starting point with so much to see-in fact i know people who only view the moon and don't bother with anything else it is that good. 

Spend plenty of time trawling through this forum-guaranted that what ever questions you have you will find the answer on here, if not just ask, I promise you no one will laugh at you or show any negativity for a "stupid" question (although if you confess to making a daft mistake one night then there will be no mercy I'm afraid!).  In particular have a look at some of the sticky threads on here. Written specially for people in your shoes. Good luck! 

Popeye.

Going to go one step earlier and ask how many constellations do you know and can find? Probably going to need the following The Plough (Asterism not constellation), Cassiopeia, Auriga and eventually Leo. Andromeda would be nice also.

Reason is simply sayng that there are 3 easy Open Cluter in Auriga to view - M36, M37, M38 first means can you stand out there and locate Auriga.

Similar is the Double Cluster between Cassiopeia and Perseus, you need Cassiopeia.

Hello, and a big welcome to the forum :)

So exciting to have so many new members with brand new telescopes. Really hope you enjoy your experience, and look forward to hearing about them here on SGL too. The way to get the best out of astronomy is to share it. So when you see something great, tell us! When you get cold wet and bored, tell us! When you need help, just ask.

Enjoy your new telescope :)

Tim

A warm welcome to both keds195 and Jenny.

The moon really is a gread target to get started on but don't waste a clear night waiting for one :). If you are unsure what to look at just scan around willy nilly. It's all good up there. orion is in a prime spot at this time of year so be sure to have a look at m42 (orion nebula). The suggestion of downloading the free software Stellerium is a very good one. it will show you whats where. 

The brightest "star" you see as it starts to get dark is actually the planet venus. have a look at that for sure. it's like a mini moon.

Anyway, make yourselves welcome and ask anything you want. The only dumb question is the one thats never asked :D

Hello Keds and Jenny, A warm SGL welcome to you both.
You both joined the forum at almost simultaneously.
We like New members  to tell us a little about themselves via the Forums Welcome Pages, and it gives everyone a chance to
make you feel at home. Don't worry, it isn't essential you do so, but it does ensure more members will respond to
your joining us.  
The Members and the Moderator Team will always be there to help with any queries or problems you might have
so don't hesitate post any questions you want to ask, and they will be responded to very quickly.
The learning curve is not a very steep one, and getting to know your telescope, and how it works will soon
become second nature to you. Again, anything you need to know, just ask.
As suggested in this thread, a planetarium is a very useful tool, and if you have a computer/Laptop,
you can download Stellarium as Popeye suggested, it is a free one.   The tip about  NEVER  pointing  your scope at the Sun
is a very Important instruction.
Enjoy your stay, and getting to know the night sky. There are many wonders to seek out.

3 hours ago, Callumefc said:

I agree with the turn left at orion book. Full of great information and very easy to follow.

Check out most of its illustrations at http://www.cambridge.org/features/turnleft/

Great APPs are SkyPortal (free) and it's more advanced brothers SkySafari  Plus and Pro.  These are similar to Stellarium, but are a bit more user friendly for the new generation of phone tappers.

Archived