Narrowband

Which filter sets for mono CCD? - advice please

reddoss

As I have been a very good boy this year, I am in the process of ordering the new QHY16200A J.  Only having used the SXVR-M25C CCD before, this will be my first foray into imaging with a Mono and need advice about filter sets.

The camera has an internal five position wheel for 2 inch filters. My intention is to get a parfocal LRGB or LRGBC  set plus a 7 nm Ha, as my primary interest is in emission nebula.

Both Baader and Astronomik have sets within my price range.

What are people opinions on which set would be best?

Do I really need the Clear filter? I have never seen any mention of them in posted images.

Also, is there a quick basic guide to imaging with filters? I would like to get a feel for things as;

A)     The percentage of exposure time needed for the L & Ha filters compared with the RGB (my main scope is an F 5.3, SW MN190 - moonlight focuser)  

B) Will I need an LP filter in conjunction with any of the filters other than the Ha?

Many Thanks,

Justyn

I'm not really sure anything is completely parcocal but at f5.3 I would think it close. I have had both Baader and Astronomik depending on what was for sale at the time and I don't think there is much between them and Astronomiks (though I have no experience of the newer L1,2,3 or deep sky RGB). I have never used a clear filter  

There is a 2" set of Baaders in the for sale section - I have no connection.

In answer to your questions, I tend to run 50% Lum to 50% RGB, or equal narrowband though others may differ. I go with bin 1x1.

LP filter, I suppose it depends on how bad you think your pollution is, experiment?

just my tuppence. 

I have been using the Baader LRGB for so long that I can't remember a previous life. I did process some Astrodon RGB once and found it a bit strange, but probably only due to unfamiliarity.

If you want the bees knees in NB, though, do go for the Astrodons either in 3 or 5 nm. They really are better than the 7 and far more moon proof. Tiny stars and feisty contrasts. Lovely!

Lack of parfocality can come from the optics, not the filters, and the pixel scale has a bearing too. The fewer arcsecs per pixel the better your focus has to be, so the less likely you are to be parfocal.

Shooting equal amounts of L,R,G and B makes life easier but with experience you'll be tempted to go for faint stuff with more luminance than that. Blending it with the colour is a little trickier but ask about that once you're up and running.

Olly

2 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I have been using the Baader LRGB for so long that I can't remember a previous life. I did process some Astrodon RGB once and found it a bit strange, but probably only due to unfamiliarity.

If you want the bees knees in NB, though, do go for the Astrodons either in 3 or 5 nm. They really are better than the 7 and far more moon proof. Tiny stars and feisty contrasts. Lovely!

Lack of parfocality can come from the optics, not the filters, and the pixel scale has a bearing too. The fewer arcsecs per pixel the better your focus has to be, so the less likely you are to be parfocal.

Shooting equal amounts of L,R,G and B makes life easier but with experience you'll be tempted to go for faint stuff with more luminance than that. Blending it with the colour is a little trickier but ask about that once you're up and running.

Olly

Thanks Olly,

Will do.

I know as a professional scientist that is all about experimenting and finding the best option for the set up you have, just trying to get the best advice I can before starting.

For sure go for the narrowband Astrodons (Or Chroma) if you can. The 3nm Ha is sublime and really does help in imaging when the moon is about. That's not to be sniffed at I can assure you! With the 7nm there's every chance that when the clear comes around .......normally when close to full moon........ your 7nm's will not get you the data that the 3nm's will.

Whilst I appreciate that Astrodon is probably the best, we are talking about 2" filters here, which are jolly expensive and Justin says Astronomik and Baader are within his budget. 

Failing Astrodon, I would get the Baader 2" filters.  Whilst people will argue that they are not parfocal I have found most of mine to be so, blue normally needs a slight tweak.  

You are wise to add Ha into the mix there are many targets that have Ha and it can greatly enhance an image.  

LP filter should only be required if you are imaging from a LP location.  

Post-processing is somewhat different to OSC.  I use Registar for registering all the filters, then I use Anna Morris's method for combining LRGB.

http://www.eprisephoto.com/videofiles/h1b3af346#h1b3af346

HTH

Carole

Archived