SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Please help with location settings

Hi everyone!  I'm just starting to use my first computerized telescope.  Here's my problem (well, one of them anyways)- My ioptron 8502 80mm scope doesn't have a GPS built into it, so I enter my coordinates manually, yet my when I tell my scope to find a certain planet or star, it looks somewhere totally wrong.

For the record, here's the info I'm entering into the telescope.  I'm in Aurora, CO (area code 80013) so:

Long: 104.789956

Lat: 39.647193

I face it south, at the manual instructs, but it still is way off.  I have the date and time correct, as I check them routinely to make sure they're set properly.

One last question, the scope computer also asks me to "Set the current Altitude and Azimuth of your telescope. "  I have no idea what these settings should be. 

Can anyone help me with why I can't get the scope aligned properly?

Thank You!

Jon

D4N is correct. Looks like its -104.8319

Aurora (CO) is a city in United States of America. Its area is 135 sq mi 370 km2. The city's population is 325,078. Click here for the jump to the official website. The stright distance between Aurora (CO) and Washington D.C. is 1482 miles (2384 kilometers). Percent change from previous month (Nov 2016) by the visitors: 0%

latitude and longitude coordinates of Aurora (CO)

I just checked, and yes, it's got the "W" for west in front of it.  The "-" sign isn't an option, but the "W" is there..... I'm so frustrated, because I'm sure it's user error.  But for the life of me, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong....

Thank you for your replies!

edit; I just found a website that tells me I may not been completely aligning it up properly.  I'll do this process differently tonight.

Can anyone tell me if the scope I'm starting out with is decent?  What can I expect to see after I gain some experience? 

Here are the specs:

Ioptron 8502 80mm

Focal Length : 400 MM

Focal Ratio: f/5

Resolving Power :1.4 Arc Sec

Thanks!

36 minutes ago, Jon the Newb said:

I face it south, at the manual instructs, but it still is way off.

I am not familiar with this particular outfit but if you are in the Northern hemisphere why would you 'point it South' ?

Maybe the instructions are for our Southern hemisphere cousins ?

I was recommended to download an app. to my Android phone called SynscanInit 2

OK, it seems entirely set up to answer the questions that my own Goto device asks me, but the questions asked above suggest to me that it could provide all the answers the OP needs.  It was free from the Play store - I'm using it each time I set-up.

You can check this out during daytime, even inside.

Just enter everything and let it slew to the sun (inside or with all covers on it !!! and do not try to look through it !!!!)
If it points appr. in the right direction, you know you have done things right and your settings are ok.
After that it is easier to try it in the dark and repeat what you did if neccessary.( It should save your settings)

Archived