Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Altair Astro Wave 115 ED.

I recently picked up an early edition Wave 115 second hand, but have not been allowed to use it until now. I managed a complete evening's imaging run and feel I can give my initial thoughts.

The scope itself is a 115mm triplet of which there are various branded versions floating around. This has a 3" focuser and the previous owner had fitted a Rigel motorfocuser to it as well. I picked up the Planostar x1.0 flattener, which screws directly into the focuser itself. My first impressions are very positive, in that this really feels like a serious bit of kit. A losmandy bar also gives the feel of solidity. The lens itself is a flawless deep blue and I managed a quick glimpse of the Moon a few weeks ago when first purchased and was very much wowed by the clarity and the lack of noticeable fringing, although I could just about see some if I really pushed it and tried hard. Difficult to tell if this was atmosphere or lens - either way, it is better than anything else I have or have used.

Setting up all the IT nonsense was pretty straightfoward, with just some tweaks to the step sizes for the focuser. I am planning on using both my ASI1600 and Atik 414ex on this scope at native FL for now, to get that extra focal length. I have a widefield setup which covers my shorter FL needs anyway, which I have now piggybacked on the AA115 via a nice ADM fast release clamp. This also holds the finder guider I use.

I now have a unified imaging kit which allows me to image a huge range of targets. I can also swap the ASI 1600 from one to the other if needed. My first light Crab Nebula image was a AA115 + ASI1600 effort last night.

The flattener is nice and forgiving in terms of spacing, and the first image was flat enough for me not to get too concerned, which was a much bigger issue with the TS60ED and it's reducer.

It is also now much easier for me to set up with this rig than with the 10" newtonian I was using before for my longer focal length images, so this is looking like a major win for me.

As for what I don't like - the scope end lens cover is a very tight and long threaded metal cap, which is grim to use and very squeaky and tricky in the dark and cold. I don't like it at all. Other than that, I am struggling to find anything bad to say about this scope. It has made me feel like I am now a serious amateur astrophotgrapher and I just now need some of those elusive clear skies.

AA115-TS60-Full.jpg

AA115-414ex-close.jpg

FullSetup1.jpg

BlueLensAA115.jpg

Crab.jpg

Hi Olly, - I think the problem is the field curvature and tilt on the images, as my spacing with the flattener is not correct. It is quite severe in parts and it seems that the red is more affected than the others, so the reds are smeared more. This is also made worse when applying the Lum, which is the worst affected of the lot.

7 hours ago, MattJenko said:

Hi Olly, - I think the problem is the field curvature and tilt on the images, as my spacing with the flattener is not correct. It is quite severe in parts and it seems that the red is more affected than the others, so the reds are smeared more. This is also made worse when applying the Lum, which is the worst affected of the lot.

Hi Matt, I really wish you well with this scope.  Unfortunately my 102mm version and Planostar never worked as claimed in my hands with an APS-C sensor.  The importer thankfully took it back off me after 2 years.

7 hours ago, Nova2000 said:

Hi Mattjenko, why do some of your stars are red but have a whitish center? (I don't know if it's supposed to be like that, I don't use ccd). 

The white center comes from the fact that in all 3 RGB channels the center of the star has saturated, ie the 'photon count' has hit the maximum the ccd can record. This means that when combined, an rgb image with the same value for r,g,b will result in white. The edges of the stars are not saturated, so in the case of the edges, there is differentiation in the RGB channels, enabling the colour to be seen. If I exposed for less time, then I would get the center of the star to not be saturated and could then end up with a coloured center, but this then means the nebula has less detail, so it is a balancing act. One could take a separate set of shorter sub RGB images purely for the stars, which is what I have done before, but not for this image.

7 hours ago, MattJenko said:

HI Chris. I am going to have a play and see. If it doesn't work, then so be it :)

What really bugged me was that AA post very tight tolerances on their website to use with the 0.79 reducer (not the planostar, which is supposed to be very tolerant of spacing).  To achieve that, you need 3 x 0.75 M48 spacers.  AA couldn't provide those even though they advertised so.  I finally obtained some from PrimeLuce lab in Italy.  Still didn't work.  Bear in mind I was using a DSLR though.  I think you are much more experienced than me so I'm sure you will get the most from the scope.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you over credit me Chris :). Haven't had much of a chance to play with this, and I was concentrating on using my little Atik for a while which is forgiving in its own way too. I will be picking up the 3" x0.79 reducer, so am looking forward to the upcoming battle... not.

Archived