Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42 and IC443

VilleM

I had to do some maintenance repairs in my observatory. To my suprise sky was clear although forecast was cloudy. I snapped few photons before going home to get some sleep.
Unfortunately IC443 has some bad stars, I need to re collimate my scope. Its been good for 3 months now, I think secondary mirror is slightly off. Luckily this didnt affect M42 wich was my first target.

M42 details:
17x180s + 10x30s exposures (HDR).

IC443:
54x180s

Both were taken with 6" f/2.8 Boren Simon and ASI1600MM-C cooled to -15C.

-V

M42-1920.jpg

IC443-1920.jpg

Very nice M42!! Sorry for the jelly, it might have decollimated due to cold?

I suppose it's Ha, not luminance, what gain did you use? You have to make a mosaic to the left of the running man :D

Not a single clear night here for weeks

33 minutes ago, moise212 said:

Very nice M42!! Sorry for the jelly, it might have decollimated due to cold?

I suppose it's Ha, not luminance, what gain did you use? You have to make a mosaic to the left of the running man :D

Not a single clear night here for weeks

Thanks, yes both are with Ha filter. I use unity gain on lights / bias and darks. 0 gain for flats to get slightly longer exposure time. My flat panel is quite bright, even with 0 gain and Ha filter I only need to use 0,25s exposure.
Yes, temperature changes collimation. All of the parts expand diffrently when temperature changes. Its not much though and doesnt seem to affect primary mirror. Collimation has been good for 3 months. Luckily its easy to collimate with good laser and cheshire and can be done in day time so its not a big deal.

-V

Archived