sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Vera Rubin died on Christmas Day, aged 88

Sad to learn Vera Rubin passed away on Christmas Day aged 88 in her home in Princeton, New Jersey.

One of the great astrophysicists of the 20th Century who worked extensively on Dark Matter, Vera Rubin won the Royal Astronomical Society's Gold Medal in 1996. She was the first woman to do so since Caroline Herschel received the medal in 1828.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/26/dark-matter-scientist-vera-rubin-dies/

I saw this sad news.

Her quote from this year " Don't shoot for the stars, we already know what's there. Shoot for the space in between because that's where the real mystery lies. " says it all about her lifes work really.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Patrick2568422
      To my understanding, matter is just crystallized energy. So is dark matter the crystallized form of dark energy? Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question, just couldn't get it off my mind.
      Any answers would be much appreciated - thanks.  
    • By alan4908
      Perhaps not the most visually stunning image in my gallery but perhaps the most interesting.....
      The Coma cluster (ABELL 1656) contains over 1000 galaxies and is dominated by two elliptical galaxies NGC 4874 and NGC 4889. It was also one of the first places where gravitational anomalies were observed by Fritz Zwicky in the 1930s’s, today it is thought that 90% of the cluster mass is formed of Dark Matter.   
      A strange looking object is the star HD 112886 (top, middle).  Is this an optical illusion created by a much nearer star and a “needle” type distant galaxy which appear to be overlaid on top of one another ?
      Taken with a Trius SX 26C. LIGHTS: 25 x 600s; DARKS: 40; BIAS:100; FLATS:40 all at -20C.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.