Allignment issues Evolution 8

Hi all and Merry Christmas!

I've been trying to set up the scope (Christmas present for my other half). However I am getting  few issues I can't quite get around. 

When connected, to the SkyPortal App, on intiating the alignment procedure, I click on a star in the app that I can see with naked eye, for the scope to then go to. However, it goes in a completely different direction altogether, yet according to the app the scope "thinks" it is on that star. Just to confirm that I wasn't getting a star position wrong, I tried it with the moon this morning. The scope pointed in a completely wrong direction.

What am I doing wrong? I realise it's probably something obvious I haven't done, yet I fail to think what it is. 

Many thanks :icon_bigsmurf:

Sorry, the answer is usually user error. Try with the handset first.

It is critical that <location> is correct. The Evolution's default is California!  This is the commonest user error. In Shropshire you might also be wise to input longitude/latitude as accuracy to your nearest named 'city' is limited to circa 40 miles.

Set zone = UT +0)

Set date in format mm/dd/yyyy do note the USA format with month first!

Set daylight saving time = no (until clocks change again).

Set time accurately.

But back to your Tablet..... If you have been playing about with SkyPortal it is dead easy to leave it at a later time or date. Make sure it is set to Celestron  WIFI and Sidereal tracking.

39 minutes ago, Astralprojection said:

on intiating the alignment procedure, I click on a star in the app that I can see with naked eye, for the scope to then go to.

Just to be clear, are you saying that immediately you start the alignment procedure you click on a star on the app? Are you getting the 'Alignment Successful' message when you've used, say, the three star alignment procedure? You can't tap on a star on the app to 'goto' until you get the Alignment Successful message first. Apologies if I've misunderstood you...

Eric.

My first thouyght is thast unless there is a defined start position, Level and North, Polaris, or a named star then the scope cannot go to the first alignment star by itself. Simply unless it has some idea of where it is pointing at start up then it cannot go to any other poistion.

After that comes the data, and at times the software.

Seen this once: Shropshire implies Shrewsbury, nearest in the list to there is likely to be Birmingham. Have you selected Birmingham, Alabama? The list by default tends to displays US cities. And at least one person did this, Saw Birmingham, pressed OK, minor problem was the scope was now "in" the Southern US.

Back to Data, your location should be something like: 002 30W, and 51 40N - What does the handset say at power up? I have given Longitude first as I suspect that this is what he scope/mount expects, if not then swap them round. Also seems pointless to sday but read the handset, people expect to see 50  40N, see it and go off to the next. But 52  40 Need tpo be against Latitude. Apologies in saying this but the Long/Lat entry is a common problem.

Immaterial of what you have entered read the handset at power up, I seem to recall problems whereby the data went in as expected, then the software sort of modified it. So again read the handset.

Archived