Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First time orion nebula!!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi @Chadnich13 I'm a novice astronomer and saw the Orion Nebula for the first time a few weeks ago and it is, as you say, absolutely stunning. It's probably the best object that I have seen through my telescope. Although when I first got my scope, last August, I saw a poor view of Saturn low in the sky which was quite awe inspiring.

Stunning, yes.  Try increasing the mag to clearly separate the stars in the Trapezium Cluster there.  Larger, denser clusters are beautiful targets - a big and easy example is M45 (Pleiades, Seven Sisters) in Taurus, not far from Orion.  At low magnification you can see more/all of it.  It's easily spotted with the naked eye.

Have fun!

Doug.

It's a stunning object but 200x is only going to reveal the central area of it - using 50x-80x will show the whole nebula with M43 nestling next to it if your skies are reasonably dark.

Imaging deep sky objects is a whole different ball game to viewing them through an eyepiece !

I'm so pleased someone called it the trapezium  cluster.  I've just looked it up on google image search and Yes!!!  that is exactly what I saw the other night, that cluster of what looked like 4-5 stars together and three diagonal ones close by.  I must have been on the correct target! :laugh:

M42 is a favourite of mine. I even got to see it on the last day of August this year very early in the morning. It responds well to many magnifications. A UHC filter can help seeing the nebula cloud itself. The whole area has some interesting targets.

beehive.png

M41 aka The Little Beehive is another favourite of mine.

http://www.laughton.com/paul/rfo/trap/trap.html

There a 4 bright stars in the Trapezium (A, B, C and D) and 2 fainter ones (E and F) which can be a challange to see. There are dimmer ones again but these need large scopes and dark skies to pick out. The cluster is also known as Theta Orionis:

TRAPDIAG2.gif

Hi Chadnich13,

M-42 was my first nebula as well back about year 2000,and I came across it just by chance, was just trying out my new 4.5" Bushnell reflector

and stumbled onto it. an awesome site then and every bit as awesome today, never miss a chance to look at it, Have seen A,B,C,D,E and F in

the Trapezium with my 10" as well, nice views in the eyepiece for sure. let the journey begin...

Rick M

I went back there tonight.  The trapezium shows about 4-5 stars with the 8" and the stock 10mm which is as close as I can currently get.  The cloud background isn't quite as clear even at lower magnification, but to be able to see this trapezium is fascinating as I have never heard of it previously

Using a starblast 4.5 right out of the box... observed with 6mm and 24mm I believe? At work right now have to check when I get home. I'm still researching the eyepieces but definitely very happy with my purchase after one dso!!!

5 minutes ago, Chadnich13 said:

Also believe I saw the andromeda galaxy but it was very blurry and to hard to make out... is there anything around the galaxy that I would have mistaken for it or do I just need to get to a darker sky? 

That sounds exactly like the Andromeda Galaxy! There is nothing else you are likely to have mistaken it for. Getting to a dark sky helps to show the wider extent of the Galaxy and its two companion galaxies but apart from a couple of subtle dust lanes, that is basically all you will see. It remains a lovely sight though.

Yes I was blown away..  looked up with binoculars and was right on it got it in the scope and could not believe what I was looking at.. something that far away, amazing no matter what you see especially with a scope for 200 dollars 

Archived