Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show Us Your Cat(adioptric)...

5 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

If you arrange the cables carefully the drag cancels out :grin:

It was my first attempts at putting that rig together.

However, you will notice that all cables run under the telrad so the all come out together at the side and to the centre of the mounting plate. You would have wept at the beauty of the cabling loom I created for the 'late' Newt, a glory incomparable.

I'm planning a wee plastic box with USB and power ports that will sit between the mount plate bolts so one power and one USB to the OAT and gear.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, iapa said:

It was my first attempts at putting that rig together.

However, you will notice that all cables run under the telrad so the all come out together at the side and to the centre of the mounting plate. You would have wept at the beauty of the cabling loom I created for the 'late' Newt, a glory incomparable.

I'm planning a wee plastic box with USB and power ports that will sit between the mount plate bolts so one power and one USB to the OAT and gear.

Always good to have a plan :grin:

Dave

This is a closeup I took a few days ago after finally finishing off a project to build a controller board for the new moonlite focuser I treated myself to just before Christmas :) There's about 10lbs of counter weights just off the top right of the photo, 5lb on top and 5lb on the bottom to balance out the moonlite and right fork arm.

With the raspberry pi attached to the right fork arm I've finally managed to bring the cable mess under more control. Just a single power cable (4 core) now runs to the ground (bottom right of the photo).

The filter wheel is at a rather odd angle as it's the best rotation I could find that gave the maximum DEC slew possible before either the guider or the filter wheel impacted the base. Finder becomes pretty useless once I've switched to imaging with that rotation, but luckily plate solving makes up for it and even with that rotation I still lose about 22 degrees sky around true north.

Also for anyone who saw my other post on the controller board, yes the focal reducer inside the moonlite focuser in this picture is backwards, good job you can't see it :p

LX90_Astro_CAT.jpg

• 2 months later...

I started assembling this rig (Celestron Edge HD 8" on an AP Mach1 mount) in early winter, but the weather has been so uniformly awful here that it wasn't until last week that I was able to walk through the polar alignment process and pull a few lights. If we get a break in the weather, it'll be worth the wait: little distant galaxies look like big boys, and guiding error is consistently below 0.5" RMS (against a pixel scale of 0.66"/pixel). I have found the finder to be very finicky, and the thread for the optical or imaging train does not engage easily. Once things are together though it looks very promising. The mount, also, has already shown it deserves its reputation.

Mach1 with C8.JPG

• 3 months later...

Here is my 'modded' Meade ETX105 OTA - with 1.25" visual back attached...
IMG_0386.JPG.112215fdad364acf859317df2d50e47c.JPG

...and after a 're-mod' to the backplate - without 1.25" visual back.
IMG_0385.JPG.63aa26dc64bb56b961a71d2dca61c605.JPG
Edited 10 hours ago by Philip R

Here's my Celestron C6 and Orion GEM. It's all new to me, having fun learning how to use it. I'm currently building a travel case on wheels for the setup, will post a few pictures when completeDSC_0049.thumb.JPG.58521df56c0c290acdf1c0014a82c738.JPGDSC_0051.thumb.JPG.0e5354f8a3686ee8e076f80749c9d299.JPG

On 7/10/2017 at 17:35, m.tweedy said:

IMG_1851.thumb.JPG.da3eb81e48b86ce509951975e68c938b.JPGIMG_1847.thumb.JPG.7166b4e6d54f1199629fc7659b74ad56.JPGIMG_1844.thumb.JPG.3601a2266134e2154c0c8fa597cb2a9d.JPGIMG_1853.thumb.JPG.2784116d85702b4091d6b582dad487be.JPG

Here's my fully pimped C11 on its final outing at Kielder Starcamp Spring 2015. Been in storage since due to back surgery. Awaiting mounting in my Observatory that is nearing completion.

I like your insulation job on your telescope, it must be helpful to prevent dew formation on the tube a night.

5967de3da6f5c_AlanLongstaffTelescope.thumb.jpg.0bdbab6e3010b1f2e34c8b0471e24f7b.jpg

14 inch LX200 GPS. As a bit of an SCT doubter over the years I have to say that I think this gives stunning views. Also the GoTo is insanely precise! This was Alan Longstaff's telescope and has a cable hand made by Steve Richards, to boot...

Olly

On 13/07/2017 at 00:57, N3ptune said:

I like your insulation job on your telescope, it must be helpful to prevent dew formation on the tube a night.

It does. It also saves it from the little dings when manhandling it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived