Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

So I have recently just gotten the Saxon 200mm reflecting telescope, and with it I received an erecting eyepeice to view terestial objects. Problem is, people are saying to insert into threads and I've tried to do that but it doesn't fit? How do I correctly place the erecting eyepiece onto the telescope? Please help!

Images of regular eyepeice for space objects (28mm) and other parts included to help.

IMG_2194.JPG

IMG_2195.JPG

IMG_2196.JPG

IMG_2197.JPG

Your erecting eyepiece is 1.25" diameter by the looks of it. From your photos it looks like the step down adaptor from 2 to 1.25" is currently in two pieces. Fasten those two pieces together, insert the wider end into your focus tube and then the erecting eyepiece should fit. You may or may not need the 2" extension tube which you have currently connected to your focusser in you photo to reach focus.

The 28mm eyepiece has a 2" fitting whereas the errecting eyepiece is 1.25". Unscrew the eyepiece adapter from the focuser and replace it with the smaller 1.25" adapter (item on left of last photo)

Also do be aware that it may be pain-in-the-neck to use your reflector for daytime terrestrial observing. This type of telescope is really made for cruising outer-space - where upside-down actually doesn't exist.

If you have a copy of Stellarium, it can be set to give an accurate view what will be seen in one's eyepiece in whatever telescope being used - including Newtonian-Reflectors.

AND: Greetings, Grace of QSLD, welcome to SGL - it's great to have you aboard!

We're a friendly bunch here, and we thrive on people's questions. And, even more so, helping to find their answers. So never be shy in asking yours in any of the myriad forums!

Happy gazing - and Season's Greetings -

Dave

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MrGuGuZai
      Why there's black line around in my view 20mm eyepiece?
      Celestron ExploraScope 70AZ 

• By grievous
      Hello! I have a question on how can I mount my camera to my Sky-Watcher Starquest 130P telescope? I’ve watched so many videos about it and there’s so many different answers on what I need to do that. At the moment, I have 2x Barlow lens and a DSLR. I know that a T-ring is also necessary but is there anything more? Any help is highly appreciated, thanks! (I’m really new to telescopes and astrophotography in general so I hope I don’t say anything dumb)
    • By JoshHopk
      Hello all,
      This is my first post on SL, so please correct me if I have started this topic in the wrong place. I am also relatively new to astrophotography, so please ignore my naivety!
      I had some clear skies last week, so decided to do some lunar imaging with my new(ish) ASI224MC. I captured my frames in SharpCap as RAW24 AVI files, stacked in AS!2 and processed in Registax and Photoshop. When i got to sharpening in Photoshop, I noticed a sort of mosaic pattern over the image, which took away from some of the detail, and really ruined the image the more I sharpened. I did a quick search and it turned up with 'debayering'. This is a completely new concept to me and all of my attempts didn't seem to improve the image at all (perhaps I was debayering in the wrong order?). I have attached some images and also my some of my SharpCap settings in case they are of help.  
      COLOUR SPACE: RAW24
      CAPTURE ARE: 1304x976
      OUTPUT FORMAT: AVI files (*.avi)
      EXPOSURE: 0.29ms
      GAIN: 282
      Thank you in advance
      Regards, Josh.

• By LordSaladMan
      I'll begin this post by saying, I've searched every forum.  I've tried every tip.  And I'm hoping you beautiful people can provide some suggestions based on my specific issue.  Because, as my title states, I'm just about ready to give up.  Here's a bit of background before I list the many ways I've tried to resolve the issue.
      I own a Celestron NextStar 8SE and a Canon Rebel T6.  After many nights of trying, I cannot get a clear image of planets, or even the moon.  I've given it plenty of time to reach thermal equilibrium each night (1-2 hours).  When viewing through the eyepiece, the image is an absolute blur.  When viewing from the camera, I get no image at all.
      Here are the things I've tried on the telescope itself:
      Focusing the telescope via the "Focus Knob" Collimating the mirror via the 3 screws Using a Duncan Mask to make collimation easier. Focusing the telescope on an object much closer, getting a clear, sharp image through the eyepiece and the DSLR, then attempting to view a star. Waiting for, and viewing during, a near-perfect clear night with very little atmospheric turbulence. I live on the westcoast of the US.  So, the only objects I'm able to see clearly (with the naked eye) are the moon and Venus.  I cannot describe the level of disappointment and frustration I feel when I can't clearly view them from the scope.  Venus is as bright as ever, and I'm getting a blur.  I tried using the DSLR and the planet doesn't show up at all.  Just black skies.  My DSLR settings are as follows:
      Manual Focus Shutter Speed: Bulb ISO: 1600 What am I missing?  I feel like I've tried everything and I just want to throw up my hands in defeat.
    • By Piero
      As part of my equipment reduction, I'm selling the following items:
      Vixen HR 3.4mm (like new) £200 Vixen HR 2.4mm (like new) £200 1.25" Lunt Herschel Wedge (prism, ND filter, and wedge housing structure like new. Locking screw requires tapping and threading. Hence the discount) £80 SOLD The Vixen HR are the best eyepieces I have ever owned. A few members on CN matched them with the Pentax XO. No light scattering and incredibly sharp. In my opinion colour tone is neutral and sits in between the Docter UWA and my Zeiss Zoom eyepieces. Eye relief is comfortable if spectacles are not used (which should not at high magnification).
      The Lunt Herschel Wedge is an excellent tool for white light solar observing using a refractor. It works even better when combined with a Baader solar continuum filter in my opinion. The hole of the locking screw of the solar wedge requires tapping/threading. Apart from that, everything is in excellent conditions, essentially indistinguishable from new items.
      Caps and boxes (hard case for the wedge) are included, of course.
      Price includes 1st class RM signed-for. Payment via PayPal (as friends) or bank transfer. Collection from Cambridge also available if preferred.
      Thanks for looking,
      Piero

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.