Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Christmas eve (morning) Jupiter

Pete Presland

The overnight rain had cleared and there quite a few big gaps already at 4 am. So up and out there again even though I knew the conditions were going to be rubbish, but such has been the astroimaging drought I couldn't resist! I really should have stayed in bed to honest, but at least Jupiter and moon made for a nice view as I was setting up  :icon_biggrin: 

The usual C9.25 scope. The first image is an RGB taken with my ASI120mm-s with around 7.5 mins of data de-rotated in Winjupos. The 2nd is with my ASI224mc with around 20,000 frames stacking 5%.

The conditions were pretty grim, I could barely make out the equatorial belts when trying to focus. I guess it will be another good example of what poor seeing can do :happy8:

I did have chance to try the Baader 610 Longpass filter, with the 224mc. I was hoping to use it on Uranus when I get the chance. I noticed it cut the signal for the green and blue channels in half, not sure if this is good thing or a bad thing to be honest :icon_confused:

Anyway here are the fruits of another ridiculously early morning. Happy Christmas to all :icon_santa: :icon_rendeer: :drunken_smilie:  There does look like some better conditions around the corner as well for next week.

2016.12.24 05.27.png      2016.12.24 06.png

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

Well done for persevering Pete, clear skies caught me by surprise last night so didn't take advantage of them, hadn't even bothered to recharge my power tank but I'm ready now :grin:

Dave :icon_santa:

You didn't miss much Dave it was pretty poor out there, but its Christmas and better than being at work  :icon_santa: :icon_rendeer: :drunken_smilie: 

Good effort Pete. I did take a peek out the window and being just a few miles away, I saw what you could see, but having been out to my birthday bash a few hours earlier, the 16 year old malt was still making its presence felt, so no chance.

I will pop along and see you sometime in the new year, but in the meantime, have a good one.:icon_santa::icon_santa::icon_santa::drunken_smilie:

Merry Christmas Pete. Your last result was showing good detail. It does look like very bad seeing. But its good to keep our oars in the water, for when things Improve. One thing I have noticed. Your images are now no longer very dark. Your processing has improved immensely.

40 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Merry Christmas Pete. Your last result was showing good detail. It does look like very bad seeing. But its good to keep our oars in the water, for when things Improve. One thing I have noticed. Your images are now no longer very dark. Your processing has improved immensely.

Kind words Neil, any progress I have made is down to the encouragement given on here. Learning how  to use winupos has been a big step this year as well,  again a massive thank you to all have contributed. 

So true about keeping your oar in.

A merry Christmas to you also.

Nice job given the conditions.

Good to see I wasn't the only one out so early. I've got some shots from 5am but like you the conditions made me think I should have stayed in bed. I'll have a look at a quick process in the morning once the turkey is in the oven!!!

Archived