SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dobson or newtonian on a dobson mount?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

At one time TV did a really nice mini Dobsonian mount in wood for their small refractors. I can find no trace of it these days though, and sometimes think of making one.

Olly

Me too Olly :)

I have often thought of making a 'Dobfractor' :D 

3 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Not all alt-az's are Dobsonians but most Dobsonians are alt-az's.   :icon_biggrin:

But not all... Someobody in my old UK astrosoc had a large Beacon Hill 'Dob' set at a built-in equatorial tilt. It's the only such device I've ever seen. I don't remember ever seeing it in action but I did see it around.

Olly

8 hours ago, Timebandit said:

Maybe we should just call it a reflector telescope on a Dobson mount?

I like that one, but the other day I pointed a reflector telescope at the shop and the seller said to me 2 times, he repeated like a parrot: it was a Newtonian telescope because I was calling it a reflector. What can I do? he wants the telescope to be a Newtonian. 

I don't know what's the matter exactly with him. (I will never know for sure)

45 minutes ago, N3ptune said:

I like that one, but the other day I pointed a reflector telescope at the shop and the seller said to me 2 times, he repeated like a parrot: it was a Newtonian telescope because I was calling it a reflector. What can I do? he wants the telescope to be a Newtonian. 

I don't know what's the matter exactly with him. (I will never know for sure)

Perhaps he was trying to differentiate between the newtonian design and other reflecting designs ?.

Who knows :dontknow:

It's a clear night here tonight so I'm not really bothered what folks want to call the 12" aperture telescope that I'm getting wonderful views though :grin:

1 hour ago, John said:

Perhaps he was trying to differentiate between the newtonian design and other reflecting designs ?.

Who knows :dontknow:

It's a clear night here tonight so I'm not really bothered what folks want to call the 12" aperture telescope that I'm getting wonderful views though :grin:

You are lucky to have a clear night tonight, here, we have heavy glaze frost. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have electricity right now, it can go out any time.

--> I wish you have a great observation with your 12" aperture instrument.

This is it:

9sqxNmQ.jpg?1

26 minutes ago, N3ptune said:

You are lucky to have a clear night tonight, here, we have heavy glaze frost. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have electricity right now, it can go out any time.

--> I wish you have a great observation with your 12" aperture instrument.

This is it:

9sqxNmQ.jpg?1

Thanks and I hope your electricity stays on !

That frost does not look nice at all :shocked:

Pouring more petrol on the flames....

Most mounts labelled as Dobsonians aren't. They should be called Fork mounts instead. A proper Dobsonian should have some sort of cradle on/in which the telescope rests, and what look like wheels (or part of a wheel) on either side which rides in a recess on the base. If the telescope pivots on a spindle attached to one or two uprights, it's a version of the fork mount.

Archived