Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dobson or newtonian on a dobson mount?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yzEBxuH.jpg

I have made up my mind, this instrument bellow is a Newtonian telescope on a Dobsonian mount. It's not going to be a Dobsonian telescope for me because I want to give credit to newton too, he deserves it too.

SUzBPbN.jpg

Look at that face, it's has if he read this thread.

mUMIwmX.png

11 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

A true dobsonian telescope should be made out of scrap materials.

56 minutes ago, faulksy said:

mine was :icon_biggrin:

Doing yourself an injustice there Mike. I have read the Faulksy Dob build, estwing dob build by moonshane and mapstar mirror grind. You chaps may have started with blocks of materials but what you chaps have achieved has gone far past the "scrap" stage. The old Ferrari and Aston car builders may of started with sheets of aluminium and steel , wood ect , but look what they turned these raw fabrication materials into. Working works of art. And after I have read some of the Dob mob exploits with their ability and craftsmanship  , time and effort which have been put into these scopes. Then they must be classified as works of art that can be used in the pleasure of your hobby. Don't put yourself down Mike , but if you really do class the Faulksy 20" dob as scrap. Then weight it in Mike and I will give you the scrap value for it. I should be so lucky?

The Newtonian on the Dobson mount has meant that a relatively cheap way to make a very effective telescope on a very simple but effective mount is available to back yard astronomer. Has meant this hobby is in the reach of the average person to pursue there hobby without the price being prohibited. Thefore this allows people like myself and other members to have affordable telescope's and if you wish to go to a bigger extreme like the dob mob then these large aperture scopes are still in the price reach of the average person (especially if you have the skills to craft your own) . Therefore we are lucky that the newt on the dob are so attainable, especially at large aperture, what would a 20" frac on a eq mount cost? I should imagine a house sale☺  

37 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Doing yourself an injustice there Mike. I have read the Faulksy Dob build, estwing dob build by moonshane and mapstar mirror grind.

Think you've a bit more reading to do as there's the

Astrolunartick dob build 

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/237227-20inch-dobsonian-construction/#comment-2570322

Simon from sussex build 

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/224241-22-f338-diy-scope-build/?page=1

The Gooseholla build 

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/227782-how-hard-is-it-to-build-a-telescope/#comment-2455173

My build thread

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/266267-the-mapstar-22-build/#comment-2915131

And Swampthings build 

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/134257-20-f4-dob-build/#comment-1338625

That should take you nicely through to next year :grin:

1 hour ago, N3ptune said:

I want to give credit to newton

Newton may have built the first functional reflector, but this was not a new or an original idea, that claim goes to Niccolo Zucchi who claimed to have experimented with the idea some 52 Years prior, but Newton got his  to work!

8 minutes ago, Charic said:

Newton may have built the first functional reflector, but this was not a new or an original idea, that claim goes to Niccolo Zucchi who claimed to have experimented with the idea some 52 Years prior, but Newton got his  to work!

So it should be a Zucchini then?

44 minutes ago, niallk said:

I'm in awe of what you guys have built. It has got to bring a whole extra dimension to the whole experience to have built it yourself. :thumbsup::icon_salut:

especially if you made your own optics niallk

14 hours ago, N3ptune said:

I have made up my mind, this instrument bellow is a Newtonian telescope on a Dobsonian mount. It's not going to be a Dobsonian telescope for me because I want to give credit to newton too, he deserves it too.

SUzBPbN.jpg

Like I said above, I disagree.

I think that if it does not have big altitude bearings then it is not a Dob.

Let's just make sure we play nicely chaps, it is Christmas after all!

We all have different ideas about the exact definitions, but that's ultimately irrelevant, they all allow us to look at the stars which is the key point!

22 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I cant see why its still not just called a Newtonian after all you wouldn't change the name of a Ferrari just because it had Bridgestone tyres on it.

Alan

I guess because the newtonian part is only the optics. In the same way that putting a ferrari engine in a Bowler does not make the Bowler a ferrari..........of course I'm only guessing..........????

Maybe we should just call it a reflector telescope on a Dobson mount?

On 24/12/2016 at 23:47, Dave In Vermont said:

John Dobson the Man & Beast:

John Dobson & Monster.png

You'd need a Cherry-Picker!

Dave

Also lovely pile of "scrap" Mr Dobson is with there?

Surely any instrument's full description includes optics and mount? 'Fork mounted SCT,' or 'Horsehoe mounted Ritchey-Chrétien' or whatever. Since, in reality, almost all Dobsonians are Newtonian there's a tendency to ignore the 'Newtonian' bit. I'll bet there are some Dobsonian Schiefspieglers out there, though...  And having typed that I just had to check and, yay... http://www.rkblog.rk.edu.pl/w/p/schiefspiegler-tilted-mirror-telescope-no-obstruction/

At one time TV did a really nice mini Dobsonian mount in wood for their small refractors. I can find no trace of it these days though, and sometimes think of making one.

Olly

Archived