Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

replace Vixen NLV 12mm

nightfisher

In my some that eclectic eyepiece box the one ep i feel is maybe not quite right for me is the  Vixen NLV12mm, so if i move this one on its the big question what to replace it with as 12mm seems to be a really good focal length in a lot of scopes.........but hopefully i will be very "skint" if the plans to fund a 120ED come good, my choice would be another Antares HD ortho, i guess they made a 12, or was it 12.5mm but i dont recall ever seeing one, so what ep would you replace it with keeping to a budget of about £60

The ones that spring to my mind for that sort of budget are the 12mm Celestron X-Cel LX or the William Optics SPL 12.5. The latter costs a bit more.

I'm sure there are others that I've overlooked though.

The BST Explorer / Starguider 12mm is also pretty decent and could be found for well within your budget on the used market.

Hello. I have a vixen NLV 4mm and I have found it a very nice eyepiece to use in my frac , great eye relief and sharp clear views and as got it second hand a great eyepiece for the money, probably a keeper.

The Ortho range for the frac I also use, less eyerelief than the NLV but a similar sort of fov. The Fujiyama do a 12.5mm which are similar to the late great BGO. I have found the Fujiyama a high quality eyepiece. Unfortunately glen at Lyra has closed, so prices seem to of gone up for a new one. But the 12.5mm Fujiyama do come up second hand and should be around your budget for a excellent mint example. Great eyepiece should work really well in the 120ed frac

I hope the above helps☺

1 hour ago, nightfisher said:

TBH john nothing really wrong with it but i dont seem to have jelled with it, it has a bit of an odd click up eye relief cup that i find a bit quirky  

I'm on board with that, the glass is excellent but the NLV's have that horrible light weight plastic eye cup that feels like it's going to break each time you twist it up. This was massively improved with the SLV range that replaced the NLV's, these have a much better hard rubber twist up eye cup :) 

I may well take a good look at the Vixen SLV, this ep gets fantastic reviews, as said i feel 12mm is a strong ep in the most used area at this sort of scope focal length so it pays to have a good ep to accomadate

The SLV's eyecup mechanism is a much more solid design than the NLV's is. They are excellent performers as well. It was a while ago but I seem to recall that the 12mm was one of the ones that I tested on reported on.

Over here we always have the ability to find top-drawer orthoscopics EP's from University Optics - an excellent, small outfit in Michigan. They do ship international, too, in the event anyone out there hits the proverbial 'wall.'

http://www.universityoptics.com/125inch.html#HD

Just so you know, they usually have the following size's in stock: 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 9mm, 12mm, 18mm and 25mm

I have a 12mm branded Antares (part of the branding-story is findable on the UO site) ortho, and it's excellent. Though I've never met an ortho I didn't like!

Best wishes -

Dave

Archived