Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I wouldn't say no to this...!!

Caz

I din't know about UK Astronomy Buy and Sell. I'm a frequent visitor to Canada-Wide Astronomy Buy and Sell, and thought it was something unique that only Canada had. :insects1: I find it much better than eBay in the quality of goods for sale. I sold my filters on it in a day. I've been trying to sell some non-astronomy stuff on eBay with complete lack of success.

I see the Vixen acromats are going in the UK for about the same price as in Canada...

Think the problem with SCT they are hit and miss you can get a good un or a real bad un they say that Celestron are the better scopes.

From which era ... Celestron, Tasco or Synta :lol:

Tasco 60mm refractors in the 80s where great best scope ever thats why I still use it all the time today :pukeright: ahh how am I trying to kid :nono: :p:D:(:p

Mark

Caz,

I think my local club would happily sell you their 14" LX200 GPS.

They are not best pleased with their purchase. :lol:

Russ

Mirror shift?

Hi Gaz,

Hmmm where do we start?

Failed DEC motor, failed handset, broken mirror lock, very loud motors, shakes in the slightest breeze, user unfriendly Autostar

Yep they are pretty upset considering how much it cost (£5500) - and they are not too chuffed with the dealer who sold it. Tried to fob them off all the way.

Been trying to bite my lip ever since they got the thing.....they should have bought a Celestron.......from any era!

Russ

Failed DEC motor, failed handset, broken mirror lock, very loud motors, shakes in the slightest breeze, user unfriendly Autostar

Yep they are pretty upset...

I'll take it off their hands :lol:

I'll even collect, for free :(

.....they should have bought a Celestron.......from any era!

:silent: :roll:

I'm suprised by the shakiness of it. All the LX200 8 - 12" i've owned have been rock steady, needs a very strong wind to shake it. LX200's are usually built like tanks.

How long have they had it?

They bought it last May from Venturescope. It was the Venturescope demo/showroom model.

Solent keep it a run-off observatory, so its open to the elements a little. It's in Alt/Az config, so no wedge. Yet the slightest breeze and there's little point.

The problems were an ongoing saga that started with the broken mirror lock on the day the scope was delivered. VS (Venturescope) offered a £16 BC&F repair kit that we were expected to fit ourselves. Meade and VS said the job of replacing the mirror lock was just too difficult on the 14" and 16" SCT's. Like heck! No sooner had that battle been won, the DEC motor fails. Then the handset.

Those three problems have now been resolved but it took until November to sort it. The club had no scope between July and October.

There's still an ongoing problem with the RA drive and the 1209 focuser.

I used to own the LX200 10" and yes you are right Damien, it's pretty rock steady. Never used the 12" but i'm sure that is too. The 14" however isn't. I dread to think what the 16" would be like.

I can think of far better ways to spend £5500.

Russ

Archived