Narrowband

upgrade

Hi all i have been looking to upgrade my  current celestron nexstar 6 SE which i have found to be amazing  but have been  looking at the  celestron advanced vx 8" edge HD as i want to do more imaging both planetry and dso has anyone on here got one that could give some indication on how much better (if at all) this scope is and what makes it better

thanks in advance

barry

Hi Barry,

You will certainly gain from the greater light grasp of the 8", although this is not really necessary for planetary as they are quite bright objects already.

I do not have an Edge HD, just a 8" XLT SCT.

People do use SCTs for DSO but not many. The main reason is that it is difficult, some find impossible, to guide accurately at such long a focal length

You will gain a 33% increase in light grasp but a 2" increase in aperture is not big in the scheme of things. There will be a million different answers from many people but you could keep the 6SE and purchase another scope.

That scope depends on what you want to do. Is it imaging or visual and of what - DSO or Planets.

If visual of DSO get a Dob - 10 to 12", this could also be used for imaging DSOs but would require a big and sturdy mount. They are also good for planetary.

If imaging DSO get a refractor - ED80. This would still require a sturdy mount. It is a banal point but certainly a truism, get an HEQ5 as a minimum.

It is difficult to advise. You need to know what it is you want to do. People will give plenty of valid advice. The only problem that in some cases this will be swayed by their preference for scope type, SCT, MAK, Frac, Newt.

You may well get a few replies to this thread, if nothing else, to help someone spend some money :-), but also because your end point is undefined.

All scopes will do just about everything, just some do some things a lot better than others.

Sorry to be so vague and unhelpful but decide what you want to do or exactly what you want THE scope to do and you will get better advice / direction.

From a 6 to an 8 inch you will get a bigger brighter image because of the added apperture.. The sct and vx mount is good enough for dso and imaging,but a 8 inch is only any good on the smaller targets..it fills the frame on targets such as m42,m31,horsehead..nebulas such as california,rosette and m45 are way too big to get in 1 frame..you could do mosaics but added time and data..all galaxies are fine..does a great job,but you  will need a 6.3 focal reducer..as far as im aware the edge has slightly better optics and a internal cooling fan ...

I have a vx 8sct and in about to save up for a 80mm ed refractor for the bigger targets...lots of people say the sct is a great planetry scope but not really a dso scope..i wouldnt totally agree but it depends on your targets

If you have a fairly long focal length on your guide scope, then guiding the 8" f10 SCT will be a little easier. I had limited success using an 80mm f5 (400mm fl) guide scope. Adding the 0.63 focal reducer should help - if the wind drops I will be trying that.

There is a rough way to check how your guiding may turn out - that is the ratio of the image pixel scale of the guide and imaging scopes.

Imaging pixel scale is  ((c) Wilmslow Astro).

You want the ratio for guide scope to imagine scope to be less than 4. See the topic below which is where I found that snippet.

I ran some numbers with my SCT and Newtonian 8" tubes and different guide cameras and there is a combination I can get a guide ratio of 4.8 on each. Which means I can make both equally as difficult (or easy) to guide LOL

So we come field of view differences; using my Canon 600d (4.3um pixels)

• SCT 0.66 arches/pixel 
  • Newt 0.99

Its not an easy choice :)

yes I have the ED80 as well, but not had time to check the numbers.

Of course this is all theoretical and usually bears no relationship to reality :)

Advanced VX 8” EdgeHD: truly the ultimate entry-level astroimaging package. This package combines the groundbreaking new Advanced VX mount with Celestron’s best optics, the EdgeHD optical system. This setup offers the astroimager maximum versatility – allowing up to 3 different f-stop configurations. Users can attach a camera to the rear of the telescope and shoot at f/10, or attach our 8-inch focal reducer (coming soon) and shoot at f/7. Additionally, EdgeHD is Fastar/Hyperstar compatible, giving imagers the option to shoot at ultra-fast f/2. No matter which configuration you choose, EdgeHD technology gives you pinpoint stars all the way to the edge of the CCD sensor. So a no brainer of you have extra budget for Hyperstar...

Regards

AJ

Archived