Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sh2-234 IC417 The Spider and Fly Nebula, now HaRGB

Barry-Wilson

I was fortunate enough to have a 3 hour clear sky forecast which came true and grabbed an hour for each channel to add to my 4 hours of Ha data.  With Storm Barbara due, it is the ony chance for a few weeks to come.  Clear Skies was predicting a whiff of high cloud and I think my subs did suffer somewhat, but this autumn has been such a drought of photons so I took the chance and am pleased as I gathered some reasonable (but not perfect) colour data.  My blue channel suffered the worst as seeing did deteriorate for the last 3 subs.

I hope you enjoy and Happy Christmas to everyone & clear skies for the New Year!

Barry

Sh2-234 IC417 Spider and Fly Nebula HaRHaGB_Blend.jpg

Barry, I like that a great deal! Indeed, every chance has to be taken with the current poor weather and you have done a lovely job with the colour data. The depth of the Ha is excellent and beautifully subtle in the background areas. What length were your RGB subs?

Have a very happy Christmas too and here's to a clear and dark 2017!

17 minutes ago, ChrisLX200 said:

Beautiful image Barry!

ChrisH

Cheers Chris . . . . let the RGB tempt you :evil4:.

1 minute ago, PhotoGav said:

Barry, I like that a great deal! Indeed, every chance has to be taken with the current poor weather and you have done a lovely job with the colour data. The depth of the Ha is excellent and beautifully subtle in the background areas. What length were your RGB subs?

Have a very happy Christmas too and here's to a clear and dark 2017!

Thanks Gav.  My subs are 300s.  I have tried 600s subs but find - at the moment until I have time to experiment - my flats do not calibrate the raw fits files without artefacts.  Whenever I've had the conditions to gather 24+ 300s subs, I haven't found that I have lost signal or depth over 600s with my skies anyway.  The key is to not skimp on the RGB data, within which of course is valuable luminance data too at 1x1 bin.  I aim for 12 x 300s as a minimum though don't always get it.  Ideally between 18 - 24 x 300s for each channel; smilar aggregate duration for luminance or Ha or both.  This quantity can be a challenge with UK skies.  This image has 4 hours Ha, 3 hrs RGB, 7 hours total.  Just about the minimum.

Thanks Steve and Sara.

1 hour ago, steppenwolf said:

This is a lovely image, Barry, delicately processed too and surprisingly well detailed for such short subs.

The Ha subs were 12 x 1200s, it was only the RGB that were 300s - sorry if I didn't make that clear in my post.

Archived