Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skytee II plus Berlebach UNI 28 Tripod: How steady ?

John

I'm thinking of investing in a Skytee II (with uprated DT clamps) and a Berlebach UNI 28 tripod.

This would be specifically to provide an alt-az alternative for my 130mm F/9.2 apo refractor which weighs 9kg all up and has a tube length (dewshield extended) of 1.2m. I tend to prefer standing when observing so I'd want to be able to use the tripod at or close to it's full height.

I've used a Skytee II but not a Berlebach tripod. How would this pairing fare with my intended scope ?

Thanks in advance for any feedback :icon_biggrin:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John I have the SkyTee 2 with ADM saddle on the side and a Baader Vixen saddle on the top. I also have a Berlebach UNI 18 which is okay for my Orion VX8 but as you stated you will need the UNI 28 if you are going to use a frac. Initially I used my 16" Pillar but I thought it became a bit unstable. I think Derek (DRT) has used the UNI 28 on various scopes.

The tripod is nice to handle when its very cold and I do like the individual markings on the legs to get a precise setup.

This is my setup with the Orion VX6L and as you can see I bought longer slow motion cables which work well IMHO.

You will notice that I removed the chains which I thought were a pain when I took the mount to an outreach event trying to set up in total darkness - perhaps it was me.

Orion.VX6L.jpg

Hi John

I don't own the Skytee but the Sabre mount on top of Uni28, and sometimes the Planet . It holds my 4" f/12 and to some degree my 5" f/12 achros fine. The Planet though is a significant step up in vibration reduction.

Yet, looking in zenith position, the legs may come in the way as the scope may bump into them. The solution is the 16" EQ5 extension between the mount and tripod.

Best regards and merry Christmas ?

Anders

I think that setup will be fine with the big frac John, weight wise. My 13kg 1.1m newt sits just fine on a skytee and planet. You'll need some counterweight on the other side or the slow mo knobs won't work very well. 

You might need the pillar extension to get the heigh for standing obseving and leg clearance. Not sure how high the uni28 extends? 

Thanks for the feed back Anders and Craig :icon_biggrin:

I've tried a Sabre mount which was nice but not up to the job even with a very stout tripod under it. I thought the Sabre would be heavier duty than my current Giro II but it was pretty much the same apart from the more polished and stylised machining.

I'd like to avoid using a pillar extension if possible. If I have to it will be the shortest that I can get away with.

I used to own a Bray Tablet mount but let it go quite a while back, like an idiot :rolleyes2:

I had the Skytee for 2 days before I returned it.  Sloppy bearings and overall I just did not like it. However, quite a few people like it, so maybe that is just me.

The Sabre v2 in my opinion is much better both in quality and stability. Not at all optimal, so that' s why I ordered some AYO stuff to carry my long Fracs.

BR

Anders

I had the Sabre v2 for a couple of weeks.

It was a nicely made mount and looked good but was no more capable than my Giro II when I actually tried it with my big refractor. Maybe I should consider an Ercole ?

tmb130sabre01.JPG

9 minutes ago, moriniboy said:

Works very well but l now use a 6" small pier between the Skytee and tripod

P1060912.JPG

Thats the sort of thing I'm after. The Starwave 150 is a little shorter than my LZOS 130 but it's quite a bit heavier I think.

The 6" pier isn't in this photo is it ?

Hi John,

I use the Uni 18 with my setup (132mm refractor 9kg)

It works well. The Planet would probably have been a better tripod though, but i'm happy with the Uni.

Whats more important is the use of an 'extender' below the mount, when using a longish refractor. 

The tripod tray is a must, i think. Very handy.

The leg spreader is also a must. Does away with those awful chains. Double leg clamps are useful too.

15053459526_37e1f420e6.jpg14889825929_bc9d4aa6d7.jpg

10 minutes ago, Tubby Bear said:

The leg spreader is also a must. Does away with those awful chains.

15053459526_37e1f420e6.jpg14889825929_bc9d4aa6d7.jpg

I really must buy those leg spreaders they look a much better option. I assume you need to purchase them from Berlebach direct? Where did you obtain the extender from - the 16" Extension from Skywatcher is too large large IMHO.

I use an Ercole / EQ5 on an UNI28. As with most tripods it's handy to have some sort of extension to prevent tripod legs getting in the way of longer OTA's. One thing I have noticed with GIRO mounts is that they are capable of holding extreme loads but if they are slightly off balance focusing vibrations will sneak in. This may sound obvious but you can have a perfectly balanced scope but as soon as your observing above 60° the balance point goes out of the window. I know you have much experience with AZ mounts but unless addressed it may feel as thought the larger mount is no more capable that the smaller. Stu seems to have solved this issue with a DIY balance weight that extends out from beneath the dovetail so while the scope may be pointing almost vertical the counterweight keeps the balance horizontally. Hopefully Stu may be following the thread and post a picture of the weight?

I say all of this because you may find this will help with your GIRO II. I have no doubt the Ercole and Sabre have higher load capacities but having owned a GIRO 3 and now the Ercole I personally feel the advantage of the Ercole is only gained from not having to drag around counterweights for OTA up to 6-7kg (a lot smoother if you did use a counterweight though). Beyond that weight you have to use counter weights just the same as you would the smaller GIRO mounts. Sure the other end of the scale the Ercole will allow for much larger dual mounted OTA's but I still feel the GIRO III was a very capable mount

As for the UNI28 see one and you'll sell it to yourself. Craftsmanship at it's finest and well worth every penny. The UNI28 extends high enough for most affordable  refractors and looks and performs amazingly. The only downside of the UNI28 over the 18 is it is a relatively long tripod when at it's shortest. The eyepiece tray \ spreader is also quite large compared to most Chinese SS tripod spreaders.

John : yes, the leg spreader is an extra option at order point (direct from Berlebach)

I'd order from them as they have every option available when you order ie mount thread size etc.

But consider the Planet if you can spare the extra £££. Especially if you have a long 130 / F9 OTA.

The extender was a additional extra when i ordered my mount. (from Florida US)

Its just the right height : i can observe the zenith (sitting down low) without the OTA hitting the tripod legs.

No counterweights either ! :icon_biggrin:

Thanks for the addtional imput Tubby, Spaceboy and moriniboy :icon_biggrin:

If I went for the Planet tripod I would need a pillar extension for both height and to give more clearance for the scope.

I do like those DM6 mounts - is there a UK / European supplier for those ?

Afraid not John. Only one place you can buy them.

http://www.discmounts.com

Tom Peters (CEO) is great to deal with though. Very helpful and knowledgeable. An expensive buy though.

One reason i didn't go for the Planet (other than the price) is because i was worried the top of it would catch the my scopes focuser

when viewing zenith objects. The Uni has a smaller, more streamlined top section than the Planet.

I think i would have been ok though.

Theres another SGL user who has this set up (Planet)    Takman (Damien)  Maybe he will see this thread & comment........

I recently purchased a Berlebach tripod (Report 372) to go with my porta mount. I placed the order through Teleskop Express, the retail cost and shipping was very good and they sourced the required mount adapter direct through Berlebach and shipped with it attached to the tripod, so great service. Just to concur with others, the spreader is an excellent easy use and stable feature and the model I have has the wide 37cm accessory tray, which is great for supporting large eyepieces. 

Well John,

You'll be aware of what I use with the 120ED.

tmp_24614-DSC_02251658084334.JPG

The full-sized Ercole on a pillar extension atop a bargain-bin EQ5 tripod. I am a bit of a nutter, so "all up" for me includes extra tube rings, a couple of extra clamps to hold dew controller and Telrad, a somewhat heavier than average Baader prism diagonal, a big fat 31T5 Panzerfaust and an extra dovetail to accommodate my cobbled balancing mechanism with 2 kg of counterweight. And the Moonlite is a bit heavier than others, as well.

I will pause for those who feel astounded.

:happy11:

And rightly so, for this puts the assembly over 11 kg. Yes I do need sufficient counterweightage opposite, but it is very steady.

Now then, I haven't tried splitting doubles or high-power tracking with this (yet) and there's always a point at which I wouldn't mind having slow motion control, but this does work very well for me.

For whatever that's worth.

:happy9:

P.S. Of course this can only get better by using a Berlebach. I have the Planet on my wishlist.

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update on this thread.

I've managed to pick up a nice Skytee II fitted with ADM clamps on both sides and a nice, solid 6" pillar extension. So part one of the plan is in place :smiley:

I used it tonight on my current hardwood tripod with the ED120 on board. It worked very well and did not need any counterweights unlike my Giro II which needs them to get smooth and steady movement.

For the big APM / LZOS refractor I'm going to need a heavier duty tripod as I originally thought - the tube is both heavier and much longer than the ED120. I would prefer to get the tripod "right first time" so I am now thinking of the Berlebach Planet rather than the Uni 28. The planet is only a few lbs heavier and seems to have a much higher max capacity than the Uni 28 although it's not as tall. The pillar extension that I got with the mount should still put the Planet tripod head plus pillar at 55 inches high and with the Skytee II on top thats about 63 inches to centre of the dovetail clamp.

The price difference between the Uni 18 and the Planet is around £130 but if the Planet is the right solution thats not a problem.

The Planet looks a more substantial tripod from the photos. Has anyone compared one with a Uni 28 ?

Hi John 

I'm sure that you are on top of this. But, if you add additional clamps, the max height of the tripod reduces.

I'm considering adding some extra clamps to my Uni 24C with Skytee II. I only use it with short scopes (6 to 7kg) so can't comment on its performance with bigger scopes. The mount does like some weight on either end. Especially in really cold weather.

Hope that this helps.

Paul

Thanks Paul :smiley:

You seem to loose a few inches in max height when you have the double clamp option on the Berlebach. I'm sure the plus is increased stability though and the pillar extension that I got with the mount will make up for the height reduction.

As time passes I might start to observe more from a seat though - my knees have been playing up for the past few months - old age ! :rolleyes2:

Archived