SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher startravel 150

GGii

Hi, im a beginer, and maybee there is some peoples from Darby who can show me how use telescope and find in sky. I hawe skywatcher startravel 150 no goto, eq5. 

And maybee in Derby is store all about telescope accesories?

and what is best for dso, eyepiece, barlov eyepiece and filtres to get best views in sky? One item about 5-25 pounds, thanks

yes and im looging zoom, is this best to zoom or something otther? Thanks

Scope should have a finder with it, well most are supplied with a finder. Set up the scope and finder so they have the same thing central. Do not use something 200-500 yards away use something 2 to 3 miles away. Very easy to point at the wall/house/chimney opposite but completely useless.

Practicalities: The scope is a wide short (fast) achromat, it will show Chromatic Aberration, there is nothing you can do about this so get used to the idea and accept it. CA bugs some people, others couldn't care less.

No idea what the max magnification is quoted as but will say it is probably some daft number. The maximum you will realistically get is likely to be around 180x, which is no problem as it is about twice what you will use most of the time. Seems the "average" is around the 80x mark - poll elsewhere.

Since I think the scope is f/5 and at 150mm dia that means a focal length of 750mm. If you want 1 item then consider a BST Starguider eyepiece at 8mm, £49 from Skies the Limit on ebay. You may find a 12mm a better option, just a bit wider. But the 8mm Starguider is a good one.

To view Saturn (next year late on) you will want around 120x magnification, the 8mm will give 93x - bit low - but that is sort of 8 months away if I recall. Jupiter at 93x will be good although some CA around the edges is to be expected.

Forget filters, you do not need one. The idea is to collect all the light you can, there is no point in collecting as much as possible then sticking a filter in to remove some of it. At this time forget barlows as well. Do not expect much from the supplied eyepieces and barlow, although the 20mm/25mm eyepiece is usually acceptable.

Clubs: http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/

4 listed for Derbyshire.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the following would be very useful:

- The book "Turn Left at Orion" which shows you how to find quite a lot of interesting objects without using a GOTO type mount. Here is a link to that:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/turn-left-at-orion-book.html

- The free software "Stellarium" which shows you what is in the sky from your location at a particular time. Here is a link to that:

http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/

Also make sure that the finder on the telescope is pointing at just the same place that the telescope is. You can align the two in daylight using a distant object (ie: something several hundred metres away) to make sure that it is in the eyepiece of the main scope when it is centered in the cross hairs of the finder.

Archived