SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Neptune's curse finally lifted

ShrewView

Inspired by some of the posts on the forum I thought it was time to seek out the outer giants Uranus and Neptune. So, a couple of months back I decided to make an effort and with the help of Stellarium planned out how to find them. Uranus was easy to find by hopping from nearby stars and I found that at the first attempt. It appeared as a grey green coloured disc; small but fairly obvious. Neptune however was a different kettle of fish. Every time I got close or thought I had found it and was about to up the magnification to truly identify it, the clouds seemed to pile in to deliberately stop me!

Well tonight, using the AR127L I finally managed to find and positively identify Neptune. After a little star hopping at a low mag I detected the tiniest blue grey disc. Playing with the focus the nearby stars came into sharp points but it remained as something just a fraction bigger. Adding more power up to around 200x it showed itself and although the seeing isn’t great tonight it was clearly a planet. So finally, the curse is lifted!

I also used a goto mount in the end - only to discover that it took me to the same target as my star hopping (the one I had concluded was not Neptune). Maybe the seeing was just bad, but I find it a much tougher target than Uranus. In my 150mm Mak I was getting a (slightly wobbly) star like pinpoint of light at x200.

Maybe I need to try again - perhaps I just fluked onto the wrong target.

4 hours ago, billyharris72 said:

I also used a goto mount in the end - only to discover that it took me to the same target as my star hopping (the one I had concluded was not Neptune). Maybe the seeing was just bad, but I find it a much tougher target than Uranus. In my 150mm Mak I was getting a (slightly wobbly) star like pinpoint of light at x200.

Maybe I need to try again - perhaps I just fluked onto the wrong target.

I did find it much tougher to get than Uranus. It's fainter, smaller and not as close to easily identified stars.

I've never really got on with the goto I've got on one of my scopes. Feels a bit like cheating too when you first look for something. I tend to use the binoculars first to rehearse my route and then try to replicate that in the scope. Takes longer but I think I learn a little bit along the way. 

Think now I've got all the planets I'll try Vesta or Ceres at some point!

Archived