SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

who is out tonight

faulksy

Not to bad a night, managed to get M31, M81, M82, Andromeda double cluster and NGC 457 (E T Cluster) using a SAW 130P and mainly a 20mm SW plossil. No stars in the square of Pegasus so seeing not that brilliant along with Santa's landing lights. Supposed to be clear tonight around here so going to have a go with the DSLR and a 200mm lense just to see what happens

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, BXRO said:

Not to bad a night, managed to get M31, M81, M82, Andromeda double cluster and NGC 457 (E T Cluster) using a SAW 130P and mainly a 20mm SW plossil. No stars in the square of Pegasus so seeing not that brilliant along with Santa's landing lights. Supposed to be clear tonight around here so going to have a go with the DSLR and a 200mm lense just to see what happens

given clear here as well tonight, just hope that my new ep doesn't come with clouds in the box

Well , I was a lucky chap last night and even though the weather was not brilliant it was more than passable to get the Dobby out to stretch its legs. Some nice star clusters around Cassiopeia were dazzling as usual, and the great big constellation of Orion with M42 and M43 never fails to disappoint. M42 and M43 are nice in the frac, but in the 14" dobby just takes you into a more "woow" area as you appreciate the full extent of this great visual object. Always wondered what it would would look like in a 20" 1/10 dob, now who do I know who may have one of those? 

A bit early to determine the weather situation here for tonight. At the moment it is a mixture of 20min of clear skys , and then 20min of clouds. So may be a sprint visual session tonight . If the dob comes out 2 nights in a row then it may go into shock considering the weather conditions we have had this year.

Anyway Merry Christmas  to everyone on SGL and hope you have a cracking time over the Christmas period?

4 hours ago, faulksy said:

quite funny last night, had my 12 year old boy out with me, we looke at the prize objects, had the dob pointing at the eskimo neb at 300x and my boy said wow what is it, it looks like a snowman :icon_biggrin: he said he could see some red in m82 as well :eek:

Ahh, for the vision of youth! :wink:

21 hours ago, Alfian said:

Partially clear in the east, looked good, then cloud, then rain, then mainly cloud with brief windows of hazy clear skies. Better than usual really.

Just to eat humble pie. I went out with the dogs for their last chance of relief before bed time (early start for work today) and the skies were wonderfully clear. Grabbed the binos and spent a while doing the rounds. M42 looked good and M31 extended as wide as I can remember it in ages. Just goes to show how quickly things can change.

Went out at 5.15pm when the sky was clear.  10 minutes later the clouds rolled in.  

Determined to salvage something, I waited almost 2 hours to grab just a few minutes on the lovely Hyades and Pleiades.

Then it clouded over again.  

So - result!  Plus enjoyment of the peace outdoors, and an exercise in patience!

Doug.

Been out tonight but come in now. The sky is very luminous with sky high humidity. Had all kinds of problems with the ZWO camera / wheel and Maxim. Managed to connect with AA5 though. Then Maxim wouldn't conect to the Trius and wheel.

Given up for the night.

Sky is not good, lots of mist, but I'm still collecting a few subs on the Cone Neb. SGPro is being a real dog, lost the first 3 subs due to PC memory issues - an old problem which I thought had been fixed. After the third sub loss I reverted to an older version which seems to be working OK.

ChrisH

tmp_24614-DSC_02251658084334.JPG

Just got back in, vital bits frozen off. Started out with intermittent clouds, but it eventually cleared up. Pleiades, Auriga clusters, Double Cluster, Orion Nebula. Scope is performing brilliantly and my cobbled balancing mechanism works the business.

:happy11:

I was going to go out on Wednesday night but one thing after another took up my evening and I ran out of time to go out.

Tried gain tonight, but clouds rolled in as I as setting up.

Never mind, boxing day is looking a good prospect at the moment!

Abandoned the gardening once it got too dark to see what I was doing, but got rewarded with Venus peeking through the clouds in the twilight. Grabbed the scope for a quick five minutes on it and could see it partially illuminated, but conditions were against seeing any detail. Looked out the window several times during the evening to see nothing but light cloud. Forecast for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday currently looks promising though.

Managed an hour out pretty poor tbf with clouds all over the shop but snuck a peek at castor and algieba doubles and a run down the terminator on the moon and am very impressed with the baader prism diagonal.

Also spent half hour on Jupiter with the 6mm bco as it faded in and out of the clouds. Two bands clearly on show with hints of four from time to time, reckon it'll be lovely when better placed.

Glad I stayed up now , back to finish watching Contact again now for the quadzillionth time.

Happy days or should that be nights ?.

Clear skies Glynn.

2 hours ago, glynnlondon said:

Managed an hour out pretty poor tbf with clouds all over the shop but snuck a peek at castor and algieba doubles and a run down the terminator on the moon and am very impressed with the baader prism diagonal.

Also spent half hour on Jupiter with the 6mm bco as it faded in and out of the clouds. Two bands clearly on show with hints of four from time to time, reckon it'll be lovely when better placed.

Glad I stayed up now , back to finish watching Contact again now for the quadzillionth time.

Happy days or should that be nights ?.

Clear skies Glynn.

+1 for watching Contact on a continuous loop.

:happy9:

lastnight was a flop for me, looked out the window and could see loads of stars ,looked through my scope and thay was like snow balls, high thin cloud that makes every image look orange. think ive a chance tonight "fri" after the storms past through.   Merry Christmas everybody.  charl.

2 hours ago, brrttpaul said:

ended up up the beacons because there was an aurora alert so just took my standard camera kit, clear skies on top of the mountain and enjoyed it watching the fog forming in the valleys below

:icon_biggrin:

very nice paul :icon_biggrin:

Archived