Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Errr? Ok, these certainly ain't cheap!

Chris

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Stu said:

It's lucky the price is non negotiable, I was going to offer 9,500 ;) 

I seem to recall that APM had two new set for €9,900 for a couple of months ago, so you could have done a little better than that. :icon_biggrin:

Hello very very nice , but £9,900. Not that nice 

My Baader Genuine Ortho (nearly completed set) are great and a fraction of the price, could also afford to get myself a complete set of pentax XW also. And with the change left over a decent secondhand Takahashi and a nice second hand 20" 1/10pv dob.

Now let me think would I have the Zeiss or my above list. I would go for the above list anyday I am afraid and have no regrets☺

The bind boggles with other things you could buy with 10k!

My complete EP collection cost me a total of 70-80 quid! Even though I'd like better EP's again they have done a good job over the last 18 months or so :)

27 minutes ago, Roy Challen said:

Sad fact that they'll probably never be used for their intended purpose, just as an investment for profit.

Yes! I wouldn't dare use them! I worried about the barrels on my ES100's so much I used to lower them into the focuser like I was trying to defuse a nuclear weapon!

I wouldn't dare breath near these Zeiss! 

30 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Has the weather been that bad?

Almost, combine that with noticeably worsening LP, and my main targets being too low in the sky to be worth bothering with, leaves a lot of astro gear gathering dust. I'm done with the buying and selling astro dance - I have what I consider to be the best gear for the job within my budget, so I'll keep what I have until such time that I can use it (retirement, probably:icon_biggrin:).

But, as I mentioned in another thread, I like to take my bins abroad fairly often.

10 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

You could put these on a shelf next to your Questar...

:evil4:lly

I actually used a Questar in 1980 in Israel (it was owned by the Weizmann Institute). Very good optics indeed, but still, just 3.5", and I have to say, my old 6" F/8 Newtonian with 1/10 lambda mirror and small central obstruction hit it for six in all areas except portability. Aperture is king. I also have no doubt that my APM 80mm F/6 triplet APO would hit it for six (highly portable, practically same aperture, no central obstruction, MUCH wider FOV, and WAY cheaper).

27 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I actually used a Questar in 1980 in Israel (it was owned by the Weizmann Institute). Very good optics indeed, but still, just 3.5", and I have to say, my old 6" F/8 Newtonian with 1/10 lambda mirror and small central obstruction hit it for six in all areas except portability. Aperture is king. I also have no doubt that my APM 80mm F/6 triplet APO would hit it for six (highly portable, practically same aperture, no central obstruction, MUCH wider FOV, and WAY cheaper).

I haven't ever used a Questar, though I have seen one. I can't believe that you can be wrong about this. It's a self-consciously collectable bit of kit. Not knocking it, mind...

Olly

I've used one of the ZAO II's once - the 6mm. Very, very nice eyepiece if you don't mind the usual ortho characteristics. I suspected that a number of folks had bought up some sets as investments when the last ones were sold new :rolleyes2:

It's nice to have the best if you can but for goodness sake use them !

Price is dictated by demand,and ZAOII or ZAO I isnt really a cheap plossl what you can pick up on any corner shop :)  

Price of the set is getting silly,but oh well,someone out there will be crazy enough to buy them.

I have looked through ZAOI and II and they are very fine eye pieces indeed.I mean really fine eye pieces.But as i dont have a spare kidney,i will stick with my Meade RG`s for a while :D

Archived