sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Berry & McKay - Aberdeen - Equipment

Hi and welcome to the SGL.

I don't have or know of his equipment, but my first search gave this article, but  you may have already seen this during your own searches...

https://lenathehyena.wordpress.com/2016/06/01/berry-and-mackay-mechanical-genius/

House looks similar.......as depicted in Google Earth

57 Marischal Street.jpg

Edited by Charic
  • 2 years later...

Good evening SGL,

Our family own a pair of brass non prizmatic binoculars with Berry & Mackay Aberdeen hard stammped onto the eye pieces. From the net they look very similar to sets that were made in France about the same time, based on the design. I have no idea of the date of manufacture, not detailed on the set. These have extendable / retractable sun hoods for the subject lens and black material applied where the set would be held. No leather involved with this set at the same position.  Our father worked in and around Aberdeen Harbour from about 1942 to about 1963 and likely that they were purchased during this period - realise quite a number of years. They have always been in the household as far as I can remember.  Hope this of interest. Mike

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Astro_Dad
      Looking forward to receiving my 102MC in the next few days/weeks depending on supply. Does anyone have any experience, tips/advice?  Looks like a good grab and go particularity for planetary observation - interesting “next generation” mount. 
    • By Arshad Wali Muhammad
      Hi. I want to buy Celestron Evolution 9.25 with startsense. I have heard star sense isn’t avbl in 9.25 but 8.0. Is it true ? Is starsense very useful ? What’s actually is starsense is ? Because I’m not interested in 8 inch. Secondly is it better then 11 inch  CGX EQUATORIAL 1100 SCHMIDT-CASSEGRAIN TELESCOPE? If not what’s the difference in terms of object clearity ? Secondly is Celestron motorized ? I mean to say the object moves very fast, so can it track the object live ? Please advise. 

• By lyfestyle
      Hello all, my name is Paige. I am a college student and new to the stargazing community. I know all about the constellations and astronomy, but i’ve never bought anything to see the stars up close. I’ve read through the forum and come to the conclusions I want to start with some well built binoculars and eventually get into telescopes. The 7 x 50 seem to be the common starting point but I would love to get something with a bit more clarity, and preferably still handheld.  I’ve also read up on some binoculars already and the big brands that jump out are Celestron and Orion, so I would love some opinions on those because they don’t seem to be reliable in the long run. I only have one shot on a good pair and I dont plan on buying any other equipment until i’ve mastered the binoculars! Price range up to around $300 so any tips would be amazing!
      Thank you, happy sky watching 🌌
    • By onefistinthestars
      To celebrate the 25th anniversary of Sir Patrick's DSO catalogue, I've added the available Caldwells to my basic Marathon search sequence. 
      Those interested may be pleasantly surprised by how many of the additional treasures are only a short hop from a given (or en route to the next) Messier.
      The sequence for 40°N can be found at the SEDS Messier Marathon homepage or at my blog.
      Peace, Stephen
    • By LiveTelescope
      hello
      this is my polarex 132F  (((( https://youtu.be/7gPlOR__86w ))))  
      ↗️POLAREX 132F video⬆️
      like New, this telescope pier has no scratches on it  \(=,^)/ thank you, 
      telescope from the 1950s 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.