Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

PetrieneeBerry

Berry & McKay - Aberdeen - Equipment

James Berry was my ancestor and he was, amongst other things, ia clockmaker and optical instrument maker including telescopes.

I would be interested to find out if anybody out there has or knows about any euipment he made.

Please PM me with information, thanks

• Like 1

Hi Martin ?  not a good idea posting your email, folks can PM info to you.

Dave

7 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Hi Martin ?  not a good idea posting your email, folks can PM info to you.

Dave

Thanks Dave, sorted now

Hi Martin and welcome to SGL, Perhaps the archives held at your local Town Hall or Public library may have some information that could help, enjoy the forum :)

Hi Martin, welcome. This could become an interesting thread in the " history of astronomy" forum in the science section

Hi and welcome to the SGL.

I don't have or know of his equipment, but my first search gave this article, but  you may have already seen this during your own searches...

https://lenathehyena.wordpress.com/2016/06/01/berry-and-mackay-mechanical-genius/

House looks similar.......as depicted in Google Earth

57 Marischal Street.jpg

Edited by Charic

Greetings, Martin, & welcome to SGL - great to have you here!

Always feel free to ask any questions, we love them.

Enjoy!

Dave

Good evening SGL,

Our family own a pair of brass non prizmatic binoculars with Berry & Mackay Aberdeen hard stammped onto the eye pieces. From the net they look very similar to sets that were made in France about the same time, based on the design. I have no idea of the date of manufacture, not detailed on the set. These have extendable / retractable sun hoods for the subject lens and black material applied where the set would be held. No leather involved with this set at the same position.  Our father worked in and around Aberdeen Harbour from about 1942 to about 1963 and likely that they were purchased during this period - realise quite a number of years. They have always been in the household as far as I can remember.  Hope this of interest. Mike

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By LiveTelescope
      hello
      this is my polarex 132F  (((( https://youtu.be/7gPlOR__86w ))))  
      ↗️POLAREX 132F video⬆️
      like New, this telescope pier has no scratches on it  \(=,^)/ thank you, 
      telescope from the 1950s 

• By Sunnaroe
      To save time getting right to the point-Ive owned a celestron skyprodigy 90 and that scope alone made me feel more powerful than ever.Im planning on spending close to 2,000 on a new setup with a far larger aperture and although I love the cassegrain goto scopes from celestron and Meade,I’ve been wondering if my budget should go toward a custom dobsonian.
       My dream begins with landing a setup within that budget and choosing the right attachments to be able to study the moon up close and personal.If you can imagine it I’d like to be able to at least recognize a footprint if there is one.Im assuming this is possible while so many scopes can see so much further away like other planets and such.
       I’m more than grateful for any input that you’ve learned the hard way or any financial corners I can cut while still being true to the game.

Thanks in advance.
    • By Eytan
      I’m a beginner, I started of with a 70mm focal length telescope with a 4mm lense. With this I am able to see the moon in fine detail however all other planets appear very small. Mars for example, I can see with me eyes and when I look through the telescope it is barely magnified. My question is; What telescope could I buy at a £300-400 budget to see all the planets in the solar system and perhaps even nebula from Andromeda.
    • By Ben the Ignorant
      Funny, the physical laws of reflection, refraction, scattering, diffraction, etc, are similar for sound waves and light waves, but the resemblance does not stop there. Listening to various car loudspeakers, I found the minimal diameter for an acceptable sound is 70mm, and that's also the smallest diameter for a satisfactory telescope in my view. 80mm grant a little more resolution in both, and 80mm is a very popular diameter in compact scopes or compact radios, at least the older ones.
      They make 90mm scopes to get some extra oomph, and the 90mm loudspeaker begins to issue more discernible bass, so much so I keep one from an old radio my father bought in the 70's, not knowing what I'll do with it but the bass, checked that when plugged to a guitar amp, is noticeable enough despite the size. Then the standard louspeaker size in non-toy stereos is 100mm, and the standard refractor size to get good resolution and power is also 100mm. There must be a reason if so many observers buy that many expensive 4-inch apos, but not nearly as many buy tighter apertures for comparable sums.
      Following the same progression, monitors in studios have 125mm to 130mm loudspeakers (that need to be complemented by a tweeter because the similarity cannot be total between light and sound), and these diameters are also the ones that provide deeper resolution on planets. 150mm approaches real power in telescopes, and 150mm is also the entry-level size for a guitar amp, like my 15 watt Fender Frontman, which does not lack bass despite its handbag format (WonderWoman's kinda big and heavy handbag).
      200mm is quite enough for most observers, resolution-wise and power-wise, which happens to match the size of more serious amps. I have a modded Stagg 20w 200mm guitar amp and an Ampeg 20w 200mm bass amp, both are plenty large enough to deliver a full sound in their range. There is a reason if so many 8-inch Schmidt-Cassegrains and newtonians are in use everywhere!
      Then the 10-inch scopes are heavier, but not unbearably so, and the 10-inch loudspeakers also deliver the near-maximal power and resolution for an amp that remains not hard to carry around. 12-inch scopes deliver enough light and detail to satisfy most everyone; again, the equivalent 12-inch size amps give out enough frequency range and raw power to please the vast majority of players. Size and weight become an issue in both cases, but not enormously so.
      And lastly, the ultra-large 15" amps or 15" to 16" scopes start another league in power and resolution but they both become equally difficult to transport.
      Not quite apples and oranges in my opinion, does it seem like a coincidence to you?
    • By cosmojaydee
      Hello all , due to moving house, it is with deep sadness that I need to sell my gear. Most  items I would prefer not to post and would be collection only , any smaller items that can be, postage will have to be covered by the buyer. If you are interested in any of the items please send a P.M and we can discuss it , So here goes 
      Skywatcher Esprit 80 ED pro triplet in alu flight case  this has not been used   £750.00  SOLD to Kaliska Field Flattener for the above scope , this has not been used                          £ 80.00    SOLD to Kaliska Skywatcher evostar 80ed ds pro + mask , used in G.C                                  £220.00 Sold .85 R/FF for the above scope , used                                                            £100.00 Sold Baader 2" click lock M56 for the evostar                                                       £35.00  SOLD to (Adeking) 9x50 finder , used                                                                                      £25.00 Sold AZ EQ6 GT GEQ & ALT -AZ  , used twice                                                     £900.00  SOLD to  jbro1985 QHY Polemaster, used twice                                                                      £170.00  SOLD to Kaliska  Baader Neodymium 2" filter                                                                       £ 30.00  SOLD  Stargazer McCabe Baader H-Alpha 7nm ccd filter                                                                    £ 100.00  SOLD to  Handy_Andy As far as I know all the literature will be included as from new and in all their original boxes , all the above are like brand new and have been loved and cared for .
      I would love for someone to buy job lot at a price of £3500.00 , which would include many items I have not listed , power supply , many adapters, leads ect ect  
      If you have any questions please feel free to ask 
      Thanks for looking  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.