Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Hello folks, I need some help, first of all is the Starsense compatible with the NEQ6 Pro.  The second is a problem I have caused myself and cannot be fixed till later in the New Year but the question is if a mount is only roughly aligned will the Starsense override this and give a better alignment to the mount in operating?   

Compatible Sky-Watcher Mounts    

• HEQ5
  • EQ6
  • AZ-EQ5
  • AZ-EQ6
  • EQ8
  • AZ SynScan compatible mounts

You need the £400 Sky-watcher version, and going by the above list you need to ask a dealer or someone who has  tried the combo you aspire to.

• Like 1

You won't need to roughly align - that's what Starsense does. You will just need to point the mount N and get it level. I see that you have Polemaster so why do you want Starsense?

(speaking as someone who had Starsense once)

Peter

• Like 1

Thanks for that Peter, I have overloaded the NEQ6 with the 11" RASA and unable to get proper alignment.  I have modded the NEQ6 with a wedge, will have to revert to the original but cannot do this for another few months until then I was looking at a stop gap by using the Starsense, I take it you have used it but not now?

17 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

You won't need to roughly align - that's what Starsense does. You will just need to point the mount N and get it level. I see that you have Polemaster so why do you want Starsense?

(speaking as someone who had Starsense once)

Peter

With the original version of Starsense for Celestron scopes it isn't fussy which horizon the OTA initially points towards. In fact that feature is quite useful. If your back yard has obstructions (trees etc); try different directions until you find that which requires the least movement and fewest plates to perform an alignment (e.g. the quickest). You wouldn't intuitively do this, but mine works best aimed South East towards the biggest obstruction, as its next three movements are into the greatest sections of vacant skies.

If the camera is properly calibrated to the OTA (easy) and additional alignment points added you will enjoy astonishing accuracy. I love mine.

Edited by noah4x4
Predictive text error
  • Like 1

I have a lot to think about here, one problem begets another so have to sit back and work out what I want to do and which way to go.

30 minutes ago, JimT said:

Thanks for that Peter, I have overloaded the NEQ6 with the 11" RASA and unable to get proper alignment.  I have modded the NEQ6 with a wedge, will have to revert to the original but cannot do this for another few months until then I was looking at a stop gap by using the Starsense, I take it you have used it but not now?

I did use Starsense but gave up on it because I could never get a good enough PA. Now I use Polemaster followed by 2 star align and it's much quicker and more accurate.

Peter

• Like 1

Yes Peter I agree with you on the PoleMaster, has made life a lot easier for me...........until now :(