SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Carl Sagan passed away 20 years ago today

Jonk

I just saw on my astro calendar that Carl Sagan passed away today in 1996, aged 62.

Although I was only 18 at the time, and not really into astronomy or telescopes (apart from the love of space), I do have the original and modern Cosmos programs which get watched again at least once a year.

I also have a framed poster saying 'we are all made of star stuff', which will go on the wall of my future observatory.

I'm sure a lot of you will remember him well.

Great guy Carl Sagan. Much loved by his students, and by the general Worldwide Astro. Communities.
His Cosmos TV Series are legendary, and will stand the test of Time, in spite of all the discoveries since that time.

Hard to believe it was that long ago.

My Avatar was chosen, of course ,in honour of him. A towering figure in his field, he had that wonderful voice and captivating presence, in just the same way as David Attenborough does, and Patrick Moore did.

I must admit............

I know nothing about the man apart from reading his name here on SGL over and over. I've never read any of his books or seen any shows.

Ive read the quote "We Are All Made Of Star Stuff" and its 100% true. I didnt know he said that.

I'm hanging my head in shame because ive been an astronomer for 37 yrs and ive never read/viewed his work.

Sadly missed, there was a nice piece about him in last month's AN as well. It's clear from his work that he was a perfectionist, but I didn't know that it was to the degree it was and that it caused a few minor set tos.

In other news, it's 115 years today since Robert Van Der Graaf came into the world. His contributions to science are known in school science labs the world over, and he had a pretty nifty prog rock band going too.

I'm in the middle of watching 'Cosmos' for the first time and I'm blown away! Get a feeling it exciting just before I put another episode on and have a sent of wonder I've not felt since I was a child! 

Incidentally, does anyone know where I can get my hands on a copy of the 'cosmic calender' that he talks about in some of his episodes?

He was one of the main characters encouraging planetary exploration in the 1960s and 70's. Look at the space probes at work today. He missed the best discoveries.

Archived