SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Late Christmas present scope advice

Hi all!

I realise it is very late for this, but I have a last minute request from my partner for a Christmas present, and it is a telescope. Sadly, I know nothing about them, but I've spent some time doing online reading on the subject and I have come up with the following:

Celestron Evolution 8 (with 13mm and 40mm eyepieces)

Moon filter

2x Celestron Barlow

Planisphere

Red LED head torch

Cleaning kit

Turn Left At Orion

I have a budget of around £1900, could anyone please advise if the above are good choices? Or are there better alternatives? My partner hasn't got any experience in astronomy, apart from TV programmes and reading astronomy related books, so I'm after a starting kit that will ensure years of fun.

Many thanks in advance, 

Chris.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also check out the size/weight make sure it can be stored and taken out side to observe with.

Cleaning kit, unless baader wonder fluid it might not be good, telescopes can get really dusty and it won't effect the view best to clean only if really have to because the view has deteriorated.

Nice set up!

Personally I would pass on the Barlow and get a fixed eyepiece instead. Barlows effectively increase the magnification power by increasing the apparent focal length of your telescope. Schmidt Cassegrain telescopes such as the Evolution 8 already have a very considerable focal length (approx 2000mm).

The two eyepieces which come with your telescope will give you x51 and x156 magnifications. An EP around 20mm would give you x100, and doubling x156 to give x312 is really too much for most applications in England due to the atmospheric conditions.

1 minute ago, happy-kat said:

I've never used this mount but I don't think it can be hand turned. You can move it using the hand set direction keys. Also best to buy from reputable astro seller. Great re battery being on board.

Cheers!

I found a shop, that is recommended online, only 40 miles from me! 

hi chris, I did mean it couldn't be used by a beginner, it just you don't get many people begining with sutch a good scope, I think its a great scope and a great choice mate. I got it mixed up with the C8 what you would of needed a large mount for "I havnt been up long, not all brain cells are working so early". charl.

Chris,

You should feel good about the list you have come up with (research does pay off).

I would say to go with that list and let your other half spend a month or two using it, she will uncover if she needs something else (don't try to do it all for her).

The most important thing you have there is the book, its a great book and will really help her get started on the best objects to find. An 8 inch scope will show off all the main sky objects to a good standard.

She's a lucky lady - now the time to let her have your xmas wish list!

Best of luck,

Alan

1 minute ago, xtreemchaos said:

hi chris, I did mean it couldn't be used by a beginner, it just you don't get many people begining with sutch a good scope, I think its a great scope and a great choice mate. I got it mixed up with the C8 what you would of needed a large mount for "I havnt been up long, not all brain cells are working so early". charl.

Hi! 

Haha no worries! I'm after all advice I can get! I have put a lot 9f thought i to it and just want to make sure that if I am getting 9ne, I am getting the best I can aftord, accessories including. Thank you for yoiur input :) !

2 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

If you have found a shop locally then could ask them re. can the mount be moved by hand manually. 

The Evo mount has 2 clutches (Altitude & Azimuth), you release the clutch by unscrewing it then the mount can be manualy moved. This is useful if you just want to go to something like the moon or a planet (that you can see with your eyes) but will mean that the "goto" is lost and you would need to re-align if you want to "goto" anything afterwards.

3 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

Chris,

You should feel good about the list you have come up with (research does pay off).

I would say to go with that list and let your other half spend a month or two using it, she will uncover if she needs something else (don't try to do it all for her).

The most important thing you have there is the book, its a great book and will really help her get started on the best objects to find. An 8 inch scope will show off all the main sky objects to a good standard.

She's a lucky lady - now the time to let her have your xmas wish list!

Best of luck,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your reply! 

It is quite a stressful experience when you are buying something you have no idea about, but I really appreciage your opinion on my research so far.  I was torn between Turn Left at Orion and another book - Illustrated Guide To Astronomical Wonders. Any thoughts on which is better? It is challenging to be a layman in any field but I do like research, even when it is stressful!

1 minute ago, Astralprojection said:

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your reply! 

It is quite a stressful experience when you are buying something you have no idea about, but I really appreciage your opinion on my research so far.  I was torn between Turn Left at Orion and another book - Illustrated Guide To Astronomical Wonders. Any thoughts on which is better? It is challenging to be a layman in any field but I do like research, even when it is stressful!

Turn Left at Orion is THE BEST beginners book.

1 minute ago, alanjgreen said:

The Evo mount has 2 clutches (Altitude & Azimuth), you release the clutch by unscrewing it then the mount can be manualy moved. This is useful if you just want to go to something like the moon or a planet (that you can see with your eyes) but will mean that the "goto" is lost and you would need to re-align if you want to "goto" anything afterwards.

Thanks again! I will bear it in mind :)!

3 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

a dew shield would come in handy, its to stop it misting up. charl.

Agree with charl - this is the only thing missing from your list, you need something like

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/astrozap-flexible-dew-shield.html

This will mean that your other half gets to spend more than one hour outside when its cold.

SCT scope have a solid glass "corrector plate" on the front that attracts the cold air and then dews up, if you use a shield then you can easily get extra couple of hours in before this happens.

I had an 8" SCT and never needed heater tapes, the shield was enought to keep the dew at bay.

Archived