Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Reprocessed M81 from February.

RobH

Hello all,

In February I posted an image of M81 taken with an Atik 16 HRC OSC camera.

Although I spent a long time trying to achieve the correct colour balance, I had very little experience of processing images from a colour camera.

and try as I would, I couldn't lose the red tint without the background going an odd colour.

As I've now been away from the scope for over a month, I'm running out of new data to work on, so decided to have another crack at the original data that I think I'm happier with.

This one used a luminance layer made from the original RGB data and then processed in mono and added in the standard LRGB way.

The previous attempt just used the RGB data, without a separate luminance layer.

30 x 6 minutes, 14 inch @ F5, Atik 16HRC, Hutech IDAS filter.

I've posted the new one first, and the originally posted image second.

Hope you like it :D

Cheers

Rob

7530_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

7531_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

As Steve has already said that's a big improvement over the original - revisiting old data is something i have been doing during these damp conditions ... its amazing the differences that you can make to the images using new techniques and tools. My particular set consists of PSCS3, NC astro Actions and the superb GradienXTerminator.

I have also just started looking at HDR processing in CS3 and am quite happy with the results to date.

Hooray hooray hooray - that's nailed it Rob. The red always spoilt the image for me but it's now a fantastic image. You have one or two others that you will no doubt apply a similar treatment to, looking forward to seeing the results of those as well.

Rob,

That image of M81 is the best I have seen, without shadow of a doubt. Incredible detail, and the improved version just looks so "right".

Are you going to Kelling btw? And if so, is the doggy going along?

TJ

Thanks folks, I'm much happier with the result and yes Martin, I have M82 to redo using the same approach....may even have a go tonight after work.

TJ, unfortunately I won't be making it to Kelling as I'm pretty snowed under with work this Autumn, at least until the middle of November, and if I get any free time at all I'll be in the observatory trying to get some more data to work on, in fact, Amanda has asked me to get her up to speed with the obs so she can get data for me, then email me the subs.

Consequently, you'll all have to wait to meet Doggy :D :D :D :D

Cheers

Rob

Archived