Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

An unknown concentric crater?

astroavani

12965032824f3533733976be43c74cfa.1824x0_

When I decided to capture this region, my target naturally was Vitello and Doppelmayer.
Who does not marvel at the rilles system that surrounds the small central elevations at Vitello?
Who is not surprised to see the central pyramid-shaped peak of Doppelmayer?
But when I looked at the photo better, I was surprised by a small shallow crater (indicated by the arrow) halfway between Vitello and Doppelmayer. My curiosity was aroused and so I decided to analyze it better in QuickMap.
Which was not my surprise to find a small old concentric crater! Using the tool Line Tool I quickly calculated its diameter in no more than 3.5 km. I realized that even LROC has not yet done a detailed mapping of this crater that I will call "Lee X" so that I do not get a clear 3D projection Of that formation, but even so, I believe that the image obtained from the QuickMap leaves no doubt to treat itself if a concentric crater little known or even unknown.
Text: Avani Soares
Http://www.astrobin.com/full/276753/0/?nc=user

Tanks Dave! This concentric crater (Cc) is giving me what to think! Note that there appears to be a small plateau around it, as if the magma had come out of its interior and drained around it. There are several theories for the formation of Ccs, and one of them suggests an endogenous origin. I would like my colleagues to take a look at this photo and also remember the study done by the following researchers:
"David Trang of the University of Hawaii, and his colleagues Jeff Gillis-Davis, Ray Hawke and Ben Bussey, recently published and presented a paper at the Lunar & Planetary Science Conference where they describe finding 14 CCs more than a prior 30 years ago, using data from the Clementine, Kaguya, and LRO probes to distinguish and confirm identified features. Almost all researchers now agree that the main crater is a small, normal impact crater, and the question is whether the ring Internal or torus forms in association with that impact or is the result of some endogenous modification. (Endogenous is a word that means something was created internally rather than created by external forces.) David's group found evidence against the hypothesis that Torus is formed by a simultaneous double impact within the layered target, by volcanism or viscous relaxation.They noted that the distribution of CC along the edges of the seas is very similar to that of the fractured interior craters. Because cracked interior craters are believed to be impact craters modified by ignoble intrusions, they have proposed, without detail, that these intrusions may also modify the interior of the CCs. This is consistent with the evidence that CCs have a virtually identical spectral signature to material located beyond the crater ring, implying that at least at that point, volcanic extrusions did not occur. David showed this with the 14-km-diameter CC Firmicus C crater as a suggestive example that volcanic material may be associated with CC but is mostly not visible. "

On 12/20/2016 at 08:14, mikeDnight said:

The Moon is a world of endless fascination to me! Though I'm no lunar expert I love the moon and  seem to remember that your discovery is a concentric ring crater called 'Avani Soares', or at least it is now! ?

Great stuff! :thumbsup:

Mike ☺

I was thinking that, i say that is now the name of this little crater 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived