Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

QHY PoleMaster available at FLO

FLO

So many people have requested this so sincere apologies for being late to the party :blush:

The QHY PoleMaster is a modern solution to an age-old problem. With only a few simple, easy-to-follow steps you can achieve perfect polar alignment in minutes, with an accuracy of up to 30 arc seconds! 

QHY PoleMaster with adaptor for HEQ5 mounts

QHY PoleMaster with adaptor for NEQ6, AZ-EQ6 and CGEM Mounts

QHY PoleMaster with adapter for AZ-EQ5 Mounts

QHY PoleMaster with adapter for Celestron AVX Mounts

QHY PoleMaster with adapter for EQ8 Mounts

qhyccd_polemaster_eq6_1.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is a great move by FLO. Having recently taken delivery of one of these devices, I have to say how impressed I am with its quality and functionality - amazing that such a complete Polar Alignment solution has only come to market in the last year or so!

I can see a lot of people improving their PA in the near future!

7 minutes ago, Marky1973 said:

Can I ask a stupid question....is this just for setting up or does it act as a guidescope, providing real-time adjustments to the alignment? Or would that just create merry hell with everything?

Just for setting up. once PA is achieved the device can be disconnected.

9 minutes ago, Marky1973 said:

Can I ask a stupid question....is this just for setting up or does it act as a guidescope, providing real-time adjustments to the alignment? Or would that just create merry hell with everything?

As Zakalwe rightly notes, you only need it for PA then can disconnect as it runs completely independent of everything.  However, I have one and it is so quick and easy to use, and the camera is so sensitive that you can use it before it is actually fully dark, that if using a tripod, you can check your PA as part of your set up routine every time with no impact at all on imaging time.

I like that its a "Hot Product 2017"....  how do they do that  :happy7: wish they'd tell me the lottery numbers :)...

I take it you can get the EQ8 adapter for these then Steve.. I'm tempted to add this to my "2017" wishlist (alongside the lottery win) for the portable setup but might as well check the permie rig too

6 minutes ago, Sp@ce_d said:

I like that its a "Hot Product 2017"....  how do they do that  :happy7: wish they'd tell me the lottery numbers :)...

We have often wondered the same. A bit like the way car manufacturers sell their 2017 models, through 2016 :unsure::biggrin: 

9 minutes ago, Sp@ce_d said:

I take it you can get the EQ8 adapter for these then Steve.. 

Yes, no problem.

We can source anything QHY make and will be looking into their product range in the new Year so if there is anything QHY you think we should stock please let us know, either in this thread or direct via PM/email. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• 3 weeks later...
On 19 December 2016 at 15:28, steppenwolf said:

I think this is a great move by FLO. Having recently taken delivery of one of these devices, I have to say how impressed I am with its quality and functionality - amazing that such a complete Polar Alignment solution has only come to market in the last year or so!

I can see a lot of people improving their PA in the near future!

Agreed, super bit of kit. PA takes 5 mins or less. Shame FLO was indeed late to the party.:happy11:

Using this product I usually run it 2-3 times , and periodically through the night as I dont have a pier set up as yet , it has never let me down and I am able to run my rig unguided such is the accuracy , my exposures are never longer than 2-3 mins 

I hadn't heard about this until Grant was telling me about it the other evening. 

It certainly sounds a lot better than scrabbling around on the floor, getting your knees all dirty trying to look through the polar scope. 

Seems a really simple and remarkably quick process. Imagine how much easier it will make setting up for out reach events and star parties. 

Ant

I see one of these in my future -  @James will attest to my legendary polar alignment skills :tongue2:   My problem at home though is that I can't see polaris, so maybe another gap in the market for a variation not using polaris...

Helen

@Helen They are indeed legendary... although in fairness I think it took only 2 seconds out of the 6 second time-lapse* I did whilst you were setting up. Note the crowd of helpful souls standing nearby having a natter (myself included. ahem).

* That probably corresponds to about 10 minutes mind you... :)

Helen.mov

I've been using a Polemaster as well recently to give it a go and to see whether the Mac software for it was up to scratch. It works a treat... I haven't been able to confirm for sure that the polar alignment is better than I was getting (I want to leave Phd running without giving guide output to see what happens) but my tracking has definitely improved and that's the point...

For Mac users with retina screens - you need to open the Polemaster app in Low Res mode, choose 'Get Info' on the Polemaster App and tick the 'open in low res' checkbox.. or the scale will be wrong and you'll not be able to match up the circles with existing stars.

The process is pretty straightforward though, save your knees and back and takes perhaps 2 minutes. In fact it allows for accuracy that is greater than my mounts bolts are able to give..

James

6 hours ago, Helen said:

I see one of these in my future -  @James will attest to my legendary polar alignment skills :tongue2:   My problem at home though is that I can't see polaris, so maybe another gap in the market for a variation not using polaris...

Helen

im sure sharpcap is working on that problem 

• 1 month later...
On 30/01/2017 at 15:13, FLO said:

We have increased our range of QHY PoleMaster adaptors to fit a wider range of mounts.

... We added more today :smile: 

Please see here for our full range of QHY Polemasters and adapters. 

aha.. they're back in stock..  I was gonna order one last week but saw they were out of stock...  had to resort to installing phd2 & trying the polar drift align (pretty impressed!). Anyway, I take it its easy enough to swap between mounts so ordering a camera and say 3 different adapters is sensible?.. If that's the case.. you know I have to ask ;) .. any "special pricing" for ordering one with 3 adapters then Steve :)

I also invested in a Pole Master.  Even in an observatory it is wise to get one if you can afford to do so since you will get occasional shift and heave in the ground - especially if your peer is built in clay that dries out in summer and becomes sodden in winter -  that will disrupt PA unless you have rock beneath you.  A wise investment and literally takes a minute or two to PA.

14 hours ago, Sp@ce_d said:

aha.. they're back in stock..  I was gonna order one last week but saw they were out of stock...  had to resort to installing phd2 & trying the polar drift align (pretty impressed!). Anyway, I take it its easy enough to swap between mounts so ordering a camera and say 3 different adapters is sensible?.. If that's the case.. you know I have to ask ;) .. any "special pricing" for ordering one with 3 adapters then Steve :)

Yes it is perfectly feasible to do that.  One camera (and cable) then a few additional adapters.

Archived