Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Polymer cleaning for mirror/ lens

Hello members

I have recently come across maybe another method for cleaning telescope lens and mirrors. The first contact polymer cleaning. From what I understand it is supposed to be a safer method than the normal methods. Therefore just wondering if members have used this method and their feelings and results of this cleaning method.

My understanding with the polymer method is that a chemical is applied to the lens or mirror. Then this chemical then goes into a skin type consistently .And then you gently peel this skin off your lens or mirror with the dirt or contamination on the polymer skin. I understand this saves possible rubbing contact of normal cleaning methods which are the prime reason for scratches on telescope optics. As the skin is peeled off then no rubbing of the optics are involved and no touchy touchy with finger are involved with the mirrors or lens surfaces 

In theory this polymer method does sound much more gentle and safe than normal methods. I have always used Baader wounder fluid with good results but this new method of cleaning has certainly got my interest and anyone with a quality scope with an expensive lens or mirror to look after and protect, but at the same time wanting a clean optics this could certainly be a way forwards 

I hope the above is worthy topic to post and hopefully of interest to myself as well as other members on the forum☺

I recall reading about this somewhere several years back. Some people had some disasterous results loosing patches of the coatings on lenses. Maybe things have moved on and the approach / technology has improved now ?.

Personally I'll stick to Baader fluid applied via a microfibre cloth for lenses and distilled water for mirrors but I'll be interested to read a report if someone has tried the approach you describe.

From First Contact's web site

Certain coatings have inherently poor adhesion, especially if manufactured without effective substrate preparation, particularly gold and silver coatings and replicated aluminum gratings. That being said, we and our customers have successfully protected and cleaned lots of gold and silver mirrors and gratings including those on the WM Keck Telescope and the Gemini North Silver. The Laser Gravitational Wave Observatory (LIGO) uses our red polymer formula exclusively to clean their gold optics as documented here. While we routinely clean diffraction gratings, the old adage about gratings still holds - don’t touch them unless you have to! And remember: Always test on an inconspicuous or non-critical area first.

So, I imagine that the issue people had was with the cheap mass produced mirrors on Chinese made mirrors?

I'm going to wait until some else has tried on Celestron reflectors before I do - or I am in a position to 'donate' one to research :)

I remember reading about this awhile back. But I decided back then to let other people to play beta-testers with this. I'd like to observe the data and see it used on many different articles - see if it manages to pull-off any coatings along the way.

The 'jury-is-out' remains in effect in my world. For now.....

Thank you for reminding me!

Dave

Archived