Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just arrived

JimT

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best say a few words about what equipment I have.  First of all I have an attic observatory and my visible sky is North thru East to South.  My mount us a NEQ6 Pro with a wedge.  My main OTA is an 11" RASA, I also have a 6" SCT, 80mm Evostar ED Pro, 80mm Startravel and a Coronado PST.  For cameras I have the QHY8L, a modded Canon 450D, QHY5L, QHY PoleMaster and numerous other USB modded webcams.

2016_1117.jpg

2016_1118.jpg

2016_1119.JPG

Hi John, thank you.  I like the solar power bit, never crossed my mind  :).   Right, a few people have asked me this on other places and some have got downright rude about it all but I carry on.  I have been in this location for about four years now and the only vibrations I have is what I cause myself so when I take a photo it's a case of staying quite.  I have insulated underfoot with gym mats, only one layer shown in the photograph but can put as much as necessary down where operating the computers so can be dead to vibrations.  Heat thermals, going up to the attic is like going desert to arctic, it is well insulated underfoot and closed off from the house.  Beyond that if I go down to the horizon then I obviously have air disturbance but above I have not found any problems  :).  I have only just mounted the 11" RASA and QHY8L and it will be a training period the next few clear nights :)

Welcome to SGL Jim, and I admire your ingenuity. although not and Ideal location for a mount,
You have made a good job of improvising, so well done there.
It's a great looking setup, but you seem to have some movement restrictions due to the size of your roof aperture,
unless it is larger than it looks in the photo.
We will look forward to any reports you post, and Images too when you get some.
Enjoy your stay, and you will find all the folks here warm and very friendly, with a great willingness to
provide help and support if you should need any.
Best Wishes.

Thanks Doug, yes your right, I am restricted in a way, the balance weights have to be above the window sill for free movement, I have to park the mount head in such a way that it enters the roof with just mms to spare, other than that as said earlier I have a clear sky North thu East to South, much the same as in the garden.  I have done a few dummy runs using Stellarium and all works well but I keep an eye in it in case it tries to go where it should not  :).  I have originally used an Evostar 80ED and a Startravel 80 side by side so the 11" is new.

Archived